RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
randman

Want to upgrade HPE ML30 Gen9 to Quick Sync CPU

randman

I have two HPE ML30 Gen9 servers. One has the Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 CPU (3.4 GHz). The second has the Intel Xeon CPU E3-1240 v6 (3.70GHz). I'm currently using ESXi 6.7 on them, and run Plex on on of the servers.

I'd like to upgrade the CPU of one of them to an Intel Xeon CPU that supports Quick Sync. Can anyone recommend what Intel Xeon CPUs will work with the HPE ML30 Gen9 (that support Quick Sync)?

schoondoggy

The ML30 Gen9 has iLo. Therefore it uses the Matrox graphics built in the iLo chip. As far as I know, the only way to use Quick Sync is for the GPU portion of the CPU to be active. On HP servers with iLo the GPU on the CPU is never activated.

I have not tested it. I could be wrong.

randman
14 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The ML30 Gen9 has iLo. Therefore it uses the Matrox graphics built in the iLo chip. As far as I know, the only way to use Quick Sync is for the GPU portion of the CPU to be active. On HP servers with iLo the GPU on the CPU is never activated.

I have not tested it. I could be wrong.

Thanks shoondoggy. Someone else asked a similar question regarding the MicroServer Gen10 Plus (https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/Microserver-Gen10-Plus-and-Intel-Quick-Sync/m-p/7084677/highlight/false#M22348). One of the replies was:

"Intel Quick Sync is not supported. Intel's SPS firmware doesn't allow it, and SPS is required for the server-y features of the microserver Gen10 Plus. This is used instead of the Intel ME firmware that you may be more familar with, which does support Quick Sync, but doesn't support server features. 

Source: I'm the DL380 Product Manager and asked the Microserver Product Manager"

Question - if I were to add a graphics card (like an Nvidia card) to take advantage of its hardware (such as for transcoding with Plex), would it be possible, or there would be limitations?

randman

Thanks. I think one difficulty is finding a graphics card that ESXi supports for passthrough. At least the officially supported ones seem to be insanely expensive. From what I've read, it seems like a bag of hurt trying to get passthrough working with ESXi and then getting Plex to use hardware transcoding on top of that. I think for now, I'll just use 4K for direct play use only, and have 1080p versions of videos in addition to the 4K so I'll never have to worry about transcoding 4K. Then, I can continue to use a reasonably powered server (using an HPE ML30 Gen9 for currently). Even the new Microserver GEN10+ will work great with ESXi and Plex on a VM so long as one never has to worry about transcoding 4k.

randman

I decided it  be nice to be able to take CPU utilization away from  the CPU by getting a GPU. I wound up getting the Nvidia Quadro P2200 and installed it in my HPE ML30 Gen9. I setup passthrough on an Ubuntu 18.04 ESXi VM. Plex works well with it, doing both hardware encode and decode.  

• Thanks 1