RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 how to move B120i OS SSD to AHCI

TomP

Currently I have the Win 10 OS RAID 0 SSD connected to port 1 of the motherboard SAS connector (not on ODD SATA port 5) with the 4 HDs connected to an SAS HBA 4i. I now want to move the OS SSD from B120i to AHCI but am advised to take a backup (ie. OS image?) but that will not work either by cloning a new SSD from the original or 'Migrate OS' using Paragon HDM. Either method has worked 100% without exception until now, including on my new AHCI ML310e V2 Gen 8, so...

1. Can anybody suggest how should I proceed to move successfully to AHCI or...

2. Can I add a second SSD to B120i and configure as RAID1 with the previously RAID0 original OS SSD? - currently I see nothing about doing this either in the B120i user guide or this forum.

You could shut down the server move the SSD to another computer and try copy/clone it from there. 

If the SSD is just the OS, no data, then it may not be as important to have a backup.

1. To move the boot drive from B120i to AHCI, just power down the server, reboot, enter BIOS and change the controller from B120i to AHCI, save and finish booting.

2. Yes, you can add a second SSD and enter SSA and create a RAID1 array. It may over write the image on the boot disk when the array is created. It has been a long time since I played with this, but it seems like going from a single drive RAID0 to RAID1 did leave the original image intact. The B120i does not have a RAID migration feature. On the Smart Array P series cards there is a RAID migration tool that will safely support RAID type migrations.

32 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

You could shut down the server move the SSD to another computer and try copy/clone it from there. 

If the SSD is just the OS, no data, then it may not be as important to have a backup.

1. To move the boot drive from B120i to AHCI, just power down the server, reboot, enter BIOS and change the controller from B120i to AHCI, save and finish booting.

2. Yes, you can add a second SSD and enter SSA and create a RAID1 array. It may over write the image on the boot disk when the array is created. It has been a long time since I played with this, but it seems like going from a single drive RAID0 to RAID1 did leave the original image intact. The B120i does not have a RAID migration feature. On the Smart Array P series cards there is a RAID migration tool that will safely support RAID type migrations.

Thanks a lot. I had already tried cloning the SSD on my ML310e, which did not worked, but your suggestion sparked a thought as I had also cloned the ML310e OS SSD, so I put that in the Gen 8, switched to AHCI and that worked !! 

B120i SSD did not work with AHCI, giving an unidentified boot device message, so I think I'll just keep it as a backup. Thanks again