RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

schoondoggy

Its been pretty well confirmed that the "EFRX" models of WD reds are cmr and that the "EFAX" models are smr.

Looking for a silver lining in all this. At least we now are all aware of the issues in "resilvering" a raid 5 array. Especially one with aging large disks

16 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

Its been pretty well confirmed that the "EFRX" models of WD reds are cmr and that the "EFAX" models are smr.

To be more accurate, only WD Red from 2 - 6 TB "EFAX" drives are SMR

WD Red from 8 to 14 TB "EFAX" drives are CMR.

Is there a not dissimilar situation with TLC vs QLC SSDs?

This video was helpful for me ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Think WD have really shot themselves in the foot here, they knew there would be issue with this, they couldn't not have known.

As I said before, someone, high enough up at WD made a conscious call to do this and not tell people, perhaps that person wasn't technical enough to understand where the Red drives are targeted and what the implications would be..

Theres nothing technically wrong with SMR, but for drives like Reds, its just a no..

Most of the drives in my server at the mo are about due to be replaced, not through SMART errors but some of them are knocking on 4 years old, WD will not be my choice for the replacements.

On 6/17/2020 at 11:47 PM, Trig0r said:

Most of the drives in my server at the mo are about due to be replaced, not through SMART errors but some of them are knocking on 4 years old, WD will not be my choice for the replacements.

Me too. Seagate seems to be the obvious choice and I was checking / comparing prices and specs and was quite surprised.

I had bought a WD Red 8TB just a couple of months ago and it seems the Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8TB is slightly better power and noise, whilst having better warranty at only a slightly higher price here in the UK.

The model available here is the ST8000NE001 (May 2019 spec) but I do see ST8000NE004 now mentioned on their web site so given the current sensitivity over vendors sliding in undeclared changes, does anybody know if there are any differences in these two models?

4 years old is like brand new for home use... lol. What does that say about me? :D

I typically run my drives to the ground and replace them only when they start to fail. Of course, backups' a no-brainer. More than half of my drives are over 6 and 7 years old. All are WD Red EFRX 3 and 4TB drives. A couple have had a few minor hiccups like weak sectors but after a read-write-read data refresh, all are back at 100% health.

Will I still get WD Red in the future? Most likely. But that's not happening anytime soon so my mind could still change depending on how WD resolves the hullabaloo they got themselves in.

As for Seagate, I still can't get over their drives screwing me. My personal experience with them is that they tend to die suddenly and catastrophically. No warning, whatsoever. The first time it happened, I actually lost some priceless data (I was young and stupid = no backup). The second time around, it happened while I was on a trip (pre-dating OneDrive and cloud storage). I had to go through hoops to get someone at the office email me my files.

WD's failure mode, even with the worst of their drives I ever owned (WD Green), had the grace to die slowly, affording me time to get most, if not, all of my data out.

But again, situations and decisions can change. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Edited by oj88

TBH, the only drives I ever had issues with was the old IBM Deathstars, damned fast drives back in the day but I had 3 bad ones in a year..

Looking at my drives, I tend to have purchased HGST. Although they are owned by WD they had their own designes and factories. Dont forget about Toshiba drives. Toshiba always built good drive. When WD bought HGST they had to sell some of HGST tech and factories to Toshiba. There seems to be a good deal of similarity between Toshiba Enterprise and NAS drives to the previous HGST designs. The issue of course is you dont see Toshiba go on sale.

• Like 1