RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

Trig0r

Yeah, thanks America for that one...

• Haha 1

TomP
On 5/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, Trig0r said:

...might carve a chunk out of my boot SSD and see what it does...

From my understanding of a brief discussion with Chris, you can't slice'n'dice existing disks. You have to have 2 extra SSDs added to an existing pool to be able to use SSD Optimizer.

Trig0r

Hmmm, well I'm down to a single spare SSD at the mo as got rid of one to a mate, I've got 2 spares in my other server at work so could use those if required..

TomP
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Hmmm, well I'm down to a single spare SSD at the mo as got rid of one to a mate, I've got 2 spares in my other server at work so could use those if required..

Chris said the SSDs need to be the same size and he uses old 128GB drives that are not showing wear over 4 years use. I have asked him if there is a user guide that documents all this.

Reliable manufacturer's drives that size are rare. For me, I'd like to have lower density 256GB which have long warranty and high TBW, so I plan to buy two Samsung 860 Pro as soon as funds permit - or my kids each buy me one for my birthday (hint)

Here is the Samsung Warranty +TBW link...

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty/

Edited by TomP
Added samsung link

nrf
Posted (edited)

I second the samsungs but am not familiar with 'commercial' grade SSDs. very familiar with 'economy' ones though...

but for my laptop "daily driver" I have a 850 evo with 85tb on it already.

Edited by nrf

Trig0r

Same size, mmm, I could do that..

I've got a 500Gb Samsung 860 Evo, a pair of 250Gb 850 Pro's then some Crucial MX300/500 drives in the other server at work.

Yeah, I could still get it working..

TomP
11 hours ago, Trig0r said:

I've got ... a pair of 250Gb 850 Pro's...l

That is what I would buy if I could still find them in the UK.

I did find an web article somewhere that says that the Pro models have MLC cells that have a longer lifetime than the TLC used in the EVO models and I think it also said that the higher grade models have a small proportion of the even more reliable SLC cells (used in top end business models) as a sort of cache and that the 850 pro had the greatest proportion.

Another web page also helps... https://www.datenreise.de/en/ssd-comparison-differences-between-samsung-pro-and-evo-series/

• Like 1

Trig0r

Samsung have been my "Go To" drive since they came out, I had a few OCZ drives before that, think I paid £200 for my first SSD which was 30Gb iirc, had a few issues but their support was spot on, but once the Samsungs came out, that was it and has been since, the only reason I have some Crucial drives was because they came with a machine...

Trig0r

So, listening to the latest podcast reminded me to check my drives...

I've got the following in my server

ST4000VN000-1H4168

WD20EFRX-68EUZN0

WD60EFRX-68TGBN1

WD60PURX-64T0ZY1

All of which were purchased before "SMRGate" so I suspect are all CMR drives?

In the podcast @Dave and @schoondoggy talk about the Red Pro drives, they, IIRC were also meant to be used in NAS units with more than 4 drives, something to do with firmware differences and drive balance/vibrations when you have more than X number of drives in a unit..

I also dug out an old 3tb WD MyBook Essentials which I'm going to "shelve" once its got a back up of critical data on it...