RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

rgunther

Someone may have mentioned this previously (I'm so bad at forums), but apparently Drobo has taken the WD Red SMRs off their compatible list. And there's a known bug now where the Drobo sees them as SSDs...so that can't be helping anything if it actually attempts to manage them differently. When I removed the SMRs and replaced with an older Red, it all worked again. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Al_Borges

About half the QNAP nas's also exclude the smr reds from their hard drive compatability list.

Dont see an obvious pattern in what is compatible, except that newer models are more likely to tolerate SMR

My conjecture- WD tried to mitigate smr drives shortcomings by increasing the on board cache memory. However, not all drive/raid controllers work well with smr, even with these changes

If this is true, you could have issues with any system

rgunther

I'm going to try just using one of the drives on its own as external storage for my Plex DVR. If it doesn't work for me, it might encourage me to watch less TV. 😆

rgunther

The Red SMR seems to be working fine on its own in a single enclosure I use for recorded TV.

nrf

so much for less tv :) how many simultaneous recordings?

nrf

wd weasles!

TomP
On 5/16/2020 at 3:08 PM, Al_Borges said:

About half the QNAP nas's also exclude the smr reds from their hard drive compatability list....

I had an unrelated remote support call with QNAP (I have 2x RAID1 two-bay NAS). I asked at the end what was their current advice and was told that I should not use WD SMR on any of their products and was pointed to the WD table posted here.

Apologies for asking again, but does anybody have a view whether Stablebit SSD Optimiser cache would help with using SMR drives?

Trig0r

I see Chris talking about the SSD optimiser, I might give that a go, had been thinking about it before, might carve a chunk out of my boot SSD and see what it does, I could use the VM SSD but that's got 5 VM's sat doing stuff so I suspect there would be more of a performance hit than there would from using the boot drive, I do have a spare 500Gb SSD and some spare channels on my card so could just give it a full drive, undecided..