RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

Trig0r

Yeah lets be fair, you say to their credit, if they hadn't been caught out then we'd all still be in the dark, they didn't do this through choice, someone somewhere at WD made the call not to inform the customer.

• Like 2

jsox
Posted (edited)

Just listened to Reset 73. I bought 4 WD60EFAX in March to upgrade my QNAP from 3TB drives to 6TB drives. I used WD Reds, as I have done before for RAID applications, based on their reputation and my past positive experience. I "rotated them in" one drive at a time, then expanded the array. No problems reported, nothing suspicious observed. They have been in use now for about 6 weeks. No errors being reported by QNAP. And I have a complete backup to a separate device in-house and key files (such as family photos) daily to BackBlaze B2.

QNAP does list the WD60EFAX as approved for my particular model (TS-453 Pro) at least.

I just switched the QNAP drive test from weekly "rapid" to weekly "complete". I'll let that run for the next several weeks and see if it reports anything differently. I think from reading the Forum pages that as long as all 4 drives match I am probably okay. If SMR is slower than CMR by a little I don't really care much.

Edited by jsox
correct typo

nrf

as I understand it, with the large caches they have added you should only see issues under sustained heavy load. good luck!

jsox

In continued reading it is clear why the shingled format makes random writes slower because of the need to read the adjacent track first before writing both. But nothing seems to suggest that the drives themselves are remarkably less reliable once the data is in place. Mainly just slower to place the data. To swap in the 4x 6TB drives the parity needed to be rebuilt 4 times. The drives being replaced were all 3TB WD Reds (WD30EFRX). The RAID rebuild rejection issue mentioned for Synology and other systems seems to be related to a mismatch in write performance between SMR and CMR drives, right? Well, the QNAP handled it 4 times in a row with no problems. 

The QNAP reports "sequential read" data as about 180 MB/sec for each of these drives. I see nothing about write speed. I do not have an SSD cache.

nrf

perhaps synology is laying down the tracks sequentially which would be the 'easy' case

TomP
On 5/4/2020 at 4:38 AM, nrf said:

as I understand it, with the large caches they have added you should only see issues under sustained heavy load. good luck!

A couple of us DrivePool users have asked if having additional SSD (x2) Optimiser as part of the Pool would help with this.

Any thoughts?

rgunther

I just swapped two 6TB Reds (SMRs) into my Drobo, and I'm wondering if they could be the cause of some problems I've been seeing now. I don't really know much about how Drobo spreads files around, but it's weird that right around the time I reached the capacity that would have required the Drobo to use one of the new drives, my Drobo started acting flaking, with all kinds of write errors as I was transferring content to it. I'm probably going to have to swap these out and put other drives in temporarily to see if they are in any way causing this problem. Seems unlikely, but I don't know what else to think.

schoondoggy
8 hours ago, rgunther said:

I just swapped two 6TB Reds (SMRs) into my Drobo, and I'm wondering if they could be the cause of some problems I've been seeing now. I don't really know much about how Drobo spreads files around, but it's weird that right around the time I reached the capacity that would have required the Drobo to use one of the new drives, my Drobo started acting flaking, with all kinds of write errors as I was transferring content to it. I'm probably going to have to swap these out and put other drives in temporarily to see if they are in any way causing this problem. Seems unlikely, but I don't know what else to think.

Interesting scenario. I would have thought that Drobo BeyondRAID would not have much of a problem with the Red SMR drive issue. If the Drobo was fairly full when you add the two new drives, the Drobo likely started moving data around, writing data to the new drives. If then you started transfering new files to the Drobo, it is quite possible the new drives lack of write performance started causing issues. My Drobo is no speed demon, but the read and write performance are very consistant. 

nrf

are you going to take WD up on the offer of helping you with this issue? maybe they will replace them with CMR drives