RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

kappclark

Was going to get WD Reds as they have been "NAS drives", but decided to wait for sale pricing on IronWolf drives ..

nrf

you can still find the 'good' reds listed by model number if you get impatient...but then again shipping anything seems slow as molasses these days

Dave

I just chatted with Schoon about this topic if you want to give it a listen.

schoondoggy
41 minutes ago, Dave said:

I just chatted with Schoon about this topic if you want to give it a listen.

One correction, WD Purple are archive drives, but are not SMR. I had thought they were SMR when the were first introduced. It may have been AV drives that were SMR.

Fun conversation, thanks Dave!

Trig0r
52 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

One correction, WD Purple are archive drives, but are not SMR. I had thought they were SMR when the were first introduced. It may have been AV drives that were SMR.

Fun conversation, thanks Dave!

I thought Purple's were for CCTV and stuff like that, not archive?

arbeedub
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, Trig0r said:

I thought Purple's were for CCTV and stuff like that, not archive?

they are A/V drives that are meant for uninterrupted steaming of writes with little error checking, where a write error being written to disk is less damaging than a write pause which may result in dropped footage. 

I would not used these drives for trusted data, unless there was some kind of periodic data scrubbing going on, and even the you’d have to keep an eye on error rates.  

Edited by arbeedub
Additional.

arbeedub

To me all this hoo-haa seems to be WD restructuring their SKUs after buying HGST. It’s the classic scenario of a company making their chocolate bar smaller rather than charging more for the same size.  This time they have dropped their customers in it though. 

more annoyingly, they also dropped their WD Gold line, which was fantastic. 

instead we have the WD Ultrastar DC HC310 drives to replace this line.  These are really nice quick drives and available in SAS and SATA. The do however use a bit more power, which is a pain.  Even these lines seem not to be immune to WD’s spec-change though. For instance, only capacities over 12TB are now He filled and have a quoted 10^15 BER for SATA - anything less capacious is quoted 10^14 and not a data centre drive in my opinion. 

Buying hard drives has always been about the detail, checking cache, 512 vs 4K, BER, rotation speed, interface and write technology. It’s just not fair when they move  the goalposts. 

• Thanks 1

oj88

To WD's credit, they have been busy with damage control. Now, they're listing the recording technology per model in all the pertinent pages of their website.

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-hdd

https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-ap/products/internal-drives/wd-red-sata-hdd#WD7500BFCX

If only they've thought of doing that before this whole "Shingle-gate" blew up.