RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

oj88

I haven't purchased a Seagate drive since the WD Red came out for two reasons:

1. I've had very bad experiences with Seagate catastrophically failing. No warnings of impending doom. They just decide on their own "I don't feel like going to work today. I quit!"

2. At the time, Seagate didn't have any NAS drive offerings

But in light of these events, I am now leaning towards getting a Seagate Ironwolf 4 or 6TB drive. I don't mind the latter being slightly noisier. At this point, I think a faster-spinning/noisier CMR drive trumps any SMR drive of similar capacity.

Al_Borges

Both Seagate and Toshiba have specifically stated they will not use SMR drives for "NAS" marketed drives

I have heard good things about Toshiba's  N300 NAS drives -  does anyone have any experience with them ?

TomP
10 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

Both Seagate and Toshiba have specifically stated they will not use SMR drives for "NAS" marketed drives

I have heard good things about Toshiba's  N300 NAS drives -  does anyone have any experience with them ?

I too originally had reliability problems with Seagate and thought I would always buy WED Red, supplies of which have been problematic in UK due to selling of HDDs whose warranty is not accepted by WD as valid here. It seemed only direct shipment from Amazon was accepted but this has dried up, so I have to say that the 3x 4TB IronWolf I have bought a couple of years ago have not given me reliability problems.

I do use DrivePool and have recently been thinking of adding their SSD Optimiser in a 2-drive write-cache, so would this improve the the performance with SMR drives in the rest of the pool?

Trig0r

WD have been my go to drives for a long time, not sure who I'm gonna use next, I've cleared a load of stuff from my server due to having a lot of spare time atm, and I'm also thinking of SSD Optimiser as I have 4 SSD's spare atm...

TomP
1 minute ago, Trig0r said:

WD have been my go to drives for a long time, not sure who I'm gonna use next, I've cleared a load of stuff from my server due to having a lot of spare time atm, and I'm also thinking of SSD Optimiser as I have 4 SSD's spare atm...

Glad to know that great minds think alike LOL !!

I'l be interested to hear from the experts here if they think it will help with shingled drives.

nrf

I find it odd that the WD chart calls these 'client drives', like never intended for NAS or server. Some type of message hidden in the terminology? like buy our more expensive models for servers and NAS? Given what I have heard about the SMR performance pauses I would not want one of these in my 'client' either. this whole episode seems so trumpian.

schoondoggy
On 4/25/2020 at 8:48 PM, Al_Borges said:

The N300 has a good reputation. The company I work for integrates servers for a storage company, they use N300 drives. 45-60-90 per server. When WD bought HGST, some of HGST facilities went to Toshiba. It seems the Toshiba Enterprise or NAS drives are very HGST like.

• Like 1

nrf

extremetech has some info for toshiba...

extremetech

laptop:

HDWL110UZSVA (1TB, bulk)
HDWL110EZSTA (1TB, retail)
HDWL110XZSTA (1TB, retail)
HDWL120UZSVA (2TB, bulk)
HDWL120EZSTA (2TB, retail)
HDWL120XZSTA (2TB, retail)

desktop:
P300 6TB HDWD260UZSVA (OEM)
P300 4TB HDWD240UZSVA (OEM)

jmwills
Posted (edited)

Still running the WD Red 4TB drives.  I fact, I have about either 4 or 5 I could let go for a good price.

Edited by jmwills