RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

Al_Borges

Well,  WD put out a press release on their Blog about this 

https://blog.westerndigital.com/wd-red-nas-drives/

they are not apologetic or even shamed -  basically giving a big  middle finger to anyone concerned about this 

In the WD blog post, they basically tell people that are concerned a to buy WE Red Pro's at a 100% premium or WD Gold's  at about a 30% premium.  I dont even believe they are exempting larger drives from this in the  future - so buyer beware

With a spare WD CMR drive in hand,  gonna investigate   Toshiba and Seagate NAS Drives For future use. 

My current QNAP has  5 year old drives in it -   I want to be pretty certain about  my ability to rebuild  my Raid if needed 

nrf
Posted (edited)

right 'we know what is good for you'. I don't understand why they are so hot for SMR - complexity is much higher and cache was added... with no price benefit. I had been using only 'black' drives up until last year's black friday sales. going forward it is time to raise my middle finger to Western Digital.

the use of "up to" specs is just as sleazy in this case as for a ISP... "up to" may never happen, "sustained" is a spec I can buy from....

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

oj88

They didn't say anything about resilvering... which puts any drive that's being added to an already utilized RAID volume.into a relentless write task that consequently puts a strain on any SMR drive. It doesn't matter if it's in a datacenter or a home NAS scenario.... resilvering works the same way and puts a lot of stress to the drives in the volume.

This is classic bait 'n switch, WD. Not good.

• Like 2

Trig0r

WD Reds have always been my goto drive on mine and other boxes I look after, guess we'll be looking at something else from now on...

Al_Borges

Great video on exactly what SMR drives are and why they are a problem in "re silvering" a raid array

Diid not know that write heads are twice as wide as read heads
  • Like 1

nrf

seems the little turds even slipped it into one of the 'black' models. latest blog includes an exact list of current models with SMR, but here is the link to Tom's page and from there a link to the blog entry.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wd-lists-all-drives-slower-smr-techNOLOGY

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wd-lists-all-drives-slower-smr-techNOLOGY

oj88
Posted (edited)

What WD has done is a step in the right direction. Of course I'm still outraged by all this, but at least they're trying to get their ducks in a row by being transparent.... technically, you don't get any marks for admitting to something that you've been already caught with. lol

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I guess I'd be shooting for the 8TB Red. 

I don't suppose they'll try that s**t again in the future, won't they?

Edited by oj88

nrf
Posted (edited)

don't give them too much credit. the data they shared could easily be derived from a crowdsourced testing effort so they have no way to hide. until you see SMR on the listing at your favorite vendor this is still sleaze....and I have not yet seen any cost benefit to the end purchaser from this mess.

Edited by nrf

TomP
On 4/15/2020 at 11:59 PM, schoondoggy said:

The article does not mention if these are retail drives purchased from an authorized source or shucked USB externals:

https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/04/14/wd-red-nas-drives-shingled-magnetic-recording/?fbclid=IwAR3hwSLG89Bt7v5OWeAYw7T6ZjDHb_noDP1J-qsrLyu9BZrSjmyz1EizyQs

Thanks to you and everybody else for highlighting this issue. It is very timely for me as I have to replace a degrading WD40EFRX, so it seems I'm still OK with a 4TB Seagate IronWolf. right? Shame that their 6TB and higher HDDs are 7200rpm

I've been using Drivepool for years because of many un-recoverable RAID 1 & 5 problems in the past, so that seems encouraging too.

When funds afford, I plan to buy 2 larger HDDs and had been concerned that the 8TB EFAX is much noisier and higher power than future larger drives and I now see that WD are offering the 8TB at a much lower price in their web shop, so is that an indicator that they may soon replace this? They also have 'replaced' the WD100EFAX with a much higher power WD101EFAX that is incredibly noisy, so are there any rumours or press statements of the future of these drives too?

Dave

I've been watching this play out in the news and am still surprised about WD doing this.  Extremetech has a nice summary of the situation if you don't want to read this entire thread.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/309730-western-digital-comes-clean-shares-which-hard-drives-use-smr

They are also signaling that Toshiba has done it as well.

This thread here at HSS is really good. Thank you to all who have commented.  I recommend reading from post one to see how the news came to light and the reactions by these readers/posters. 

This is not OK, WD. I thought WD Blacks were CMR and I think I've purchased a Black 2.5 HDD in the SMR category. It just seems wrong and I don't know how you could ever have a SMR drive as a WD Red. These drive companies need to rethink their education strategy with these drives and price them accordingly.  Time to go inventory my drives.

• Like 1