RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red 2-4-6TB drives could be SMR

Al_Borges

I guess western digital is doubling down on SMR drives for NAS applications

https://blog.westerndigital.com/wd-red-nas-drives/

they are adding lower capacity cmr red drives back into their lineup   Marketed as "red plus", presumably at a markup over the SMR red drives

they really dont want to admit they where wrong

this is just adding confusion to what was a strong brand.

marketing asshats love to talk about "brand", and then take every opportunity to dilute it

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrf

• Trig0r

• schoondoggy

• Al_Borges

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you apologetic because you are truly sorry or that you got caught?  - Said every Mom on the planet.

Yeah lets be fair, you say to their credit, if they hadn't been caught out then we'd all still be in the dark, they didn't do this through choice, someone somewhere at WD made the call not to inform t

Red NAS Drives  SMR versus CMR   I've investigated this a bit further and came up with the following conclusions.  Western Digital is not transparent with any of this information -   so this

nrf

it is a typical scheme to bump things up to a higher price range. oh, you don't want red, you want red PLUS! (hands out for your money)

I will seriously consider their competition next time I need to replenish.

• 3 weeks later...
callihan44

just heard the podcast about this, Im gonna have to check my drives in my 718+  6TB reds mirrored though mine are probably over a year old but I admit they feel slow...I need more space and will probably replace them, and yes I purchased these thinking they would be superior to just any old off the shelf drive. 

• 4 months later...
NoahGreat

Cmon, WD produces one of the best HDD in the world! This is the safest option for data storage, just like WorkTime is the best choice for employee monitoring software.

2 hours ago, NoahGreat said:

Cmon, WD produces one of the best HDD in the world! This is the safest option for data storage, just like WorkTime is the best choice for employee monitoring software.

I have to say I've found WD CMR drives more reliable that Seagate equivalents but at a higher price, but after the CMR debacle, my next purchase was Seagate Ironwolf Pro with higher capacity / warranty at a lower price

What has surprised me is that I now find other WD drives (Gold or Ultrastar HC) that are larger size, higher spec, longer warranty / MTBF than any of the red series but cheaper here in the UK !! Their whole marketing strategy seems chaotic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 12:01 AM, TomP said:

I have to say I've found WD CMR drives more reliable that Seagate equivalents but at a higher price, but after the CMR debacle, my next purchase was Seagate Ironwolf Pro with higher capacity / warranty at a lower price

What has surprised me is that I now find other WD drives (Gold or Ultrastar HC) that are larger size, higher spec, longer warranty / MTBF than any of the red series but cheaper here in the UK !! Their whole marketing strategy seems chaotic.

I guess it depends on where you live in the world. In my country, the Ironwolf drives are more expensive than the Red for the same capacity.

As far as enterprise drives vs NAS drives, I'd choose enterprise drives everytime. Probably the only thing going for NAS drives would be the lower power consumption. Might be important in the long term if you live in an area where electricity rates are high.