• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrf

• Trig0r

• schoondoggy

• Al_Borges

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you apologetic because you are truly sorry or that you got caught?  - Said every Mom on the planet.

Yeah lets be fair, you say to their credit, if they hadn't been caught out then we'd all still be in the dark, they didn't do this through choice, someone somewhere at WD made the call not to inform t

Red NAS Drives  SMR versus CMR   I've investigated this a bit further and came up with the following conclusions.  Western Digital is not transparent with any of this information -   so this

oj88

Oh no! WD Red drives had been my go-to drives for my homeserver since they started making them.

So, is it correct to assume that I should avoid WDx0EFAX drives between 2TB to 6TB, unless they're the older WDx0EFRX variety? All my current 3TB and 4TB Reds are WDx0EFRX. The older batches of these drives have been spinning for over 7 years.

schoondoggy

Hard to say, it may make sense to go with 8TB drives.

Trig0r

Ok for NAS but not for RAID, perhaps they are trying to make a product difference between the NAS and Gold/Enterprise drives?

Trig0r

"All our WD Red drives are designed meet or exceed the performance requirements and specifications for common small business/home NAS workloads. We work closely with major NAS providers to ensure WD Red HDDs (and SSDs) at all capacities have broad compatibility with host systems. Currently, Western Digital’s WD Red 2TB-6TB drives are device-managed SMR (DMSMR). WD Red 8TB-14TB are CMR-based."

Thats the important bit, so 8tb> are good still...

nrf
14 hours ago, oj88 said:

So, is it correct to assume that I should avoid WDx0EFAX drives between 2TB to 6TB, unless they're the older WDx0EFRX variety? All my current 3TB and 4TB Reds are WDx0EFRX. The older batches of these drives have been spinning for over 7 years.

can you provide some reference for this distinction?

oj88
7 hours ago, nrf said:

can you provide some reference for this distinction?

It's written in black and white and my takeaway from the article.

It's quite shady of WD not to disclose this fact. Why does it matter? Well, Synology for one, doesn't recommend mixing PMR and SMR drives. Imagine a scenario that you already have a bunch of WD Red drives for at least a couple of years and then decided to increase your storage capacity. You then pick up a new WD Red drive and add it to the pool, thinking that it should be a walk in the park.... voila! Problems.

That's exactly what happened to this poor chap: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/127228

Synology also has this to say: 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/PMR_SMR_hard_disk_drives

We recommend establishing a RAID on either all PMR drives or all SMR drives. If a RAID is established on both PMR and SMR drives, the overall read/write performance may be affected by the SMR ones during overwriting tasks.

Edited by oj88
  • Like 1