RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Want to verify that an SSD will replace my old HD

Rodf

I'm looking into replacing my desktop's old, failing HD with an SSD. I've got a Dell XPS 8700. I've look up the configuration on Dell's website, entering my machine's service tag (DK49122). I've found the component which is listed as:

• KPF74 : Module,Hard Drive,1T,S3,7.2K,5 12E,#1,G-BP
  • INFO,1ST BOOT,HARD DRIVE
  • HD,1TB,S3,7.2K,512E,SGT-GRDABP

I know it's a 1 TB drive. It looks to me like it's a SATA III drive. Am I correct? 

Assuming I've correctly identified the drive, then I've found what looks like a good replacement part on Newegg which is listed like this: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E1T0B/AM

So, have a got a good replacement SSD for my machine's old HD?

The spec sheet for the Dell XPS 8700 shows that the SATA ports are SATA 3.0.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_reference guide_en-us.pdf

The 860 EVO is a very good drive. You may need a 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter to mount it.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there still SSDs that ship with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter? Eons ago, I bought Intel SSDs and they came with metal bracket adapters. None of the new ones (Samsung EVO) comes with it.

Anyway, nowadays, most PC cases would have a provision for SSDs. If not, they can usually be Velcroed or tied up with zip ties to almost any surface inside a desktop PC.

Edited by oj88