RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Some questions about moving my Windows installation from an old HD to a new HD

Rodf

My 5 or 6-year-old HP desktop is experiencing some severe hardware issues with the hard drive. I've decided that it might be best to keep the basic machine but replace the old platter hard drive with an SSD drive. I've currently got Windows 10 Professional, which I upgraded from Windows 8.* Pro. Bottom line is I have a valid Windows 10 Pro license. So, there's a few questions I want to ask, in preparation for doing this.

First question is how do I transfer my Windows 10 Pro license from one old hard drive (a platter drive) to a new SSD drive? I've heard that Microsoft has made this easier, but I still don't know what the steps are.

And how about the data from the apps that we're using? I've got Office 365 Home Edition and have 6 Windows Profiles currently on this machine. What's the best way to migrate them off this old HD to the new SSD?

17 minutes ago, Rodf said:

My 5 or 6-year-old HP desktop is experiencing some severe hardware issues with the hard drive. I've decided that it might be best to keep the basic machine but replace the old platter hard drive with an SSD drive. I've currently got Windows 10 Professional, which I upgraded from Windows 8.* Pro. Bottom line is I have a valid Windows 10 Pro license. So, there's a few questions I want to ask, in preparation for doing this.

First question is how do I transfer my Windows 10 Pro license from one old hard drive (a platter drive) to a new SSD drive? I've heard that Microsoft has made this easier, but I still don't know what the steps are.

And how about the data from the apps that we're using? I've got Office 365 Home Edition and have 6 Windows Profiles currently on this machine. What's the best way to migrate them off this old HD to the new SSD?

The best way to do this would be to use cloning software and clone the original drive. Many new drives including SSD come with free software to do this. If yours did not then I recommend Macrium Reflect Free.

Edited by itGeeks

Thank you, itGeeks, for your reply. In this case I'd like to also resolve a problem I've had for about a year. Back when 1903 was being pushed out as an upgrade to Windows 10, my machine was left in a weird configuration. My Windows profile got messed up. Instead of being at C:\Users\Rod, it left at the temporary location C:\Users\Rod.000 which has left me with lots of programs not working, because the registry had the wrong location, etc. Over the last year, with the help of bailing wax and barbed wire, I've got it working - sort of. I'd love to just flatten the machine and start over but retain my Windows 10 Professional license.

Your welcome. I have seen this happen myself when using a Microsoft account to login to Windows for the 1st time. Since then I would create a local account, login then attach my Microsoft account. That seems to solve the weard user directory your seeing.

As for activating Windows 10, once it's been activated it will always reactivate once you do a fresh install, no need to enter product keys so your fine and free to do a fresh install.

What you could try first is just create a new local account called Rod and login and see if it fixes whatever is giving you trouble, if everything works then you could attach your Microsoft account.

Edited by itGeeks

so one has to do that 'before' a motherboard failure so as to be ready for disaster. forewarned and all....theoretically you should be able to make certain hardware changes without doing the above. but microsoft is light on the details.

for me if something goes wrong I just pull out one of my old win7 keys.

Edited by nrf