RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BDBB Crashplan offsite backup

AwesomeSpaceMonkey

I want to start using Crashplan to backup my WHS offsite. I followed the instructions at http://bit.ly/gbytai to mount the shares so Crashplan can back them up. Now I want to add the BDBB backup as well. I had BDBB save the backup to the storage pool so now it is in a strangely named folder on the D: drive. I guess the easiest thing to do is to copy the contents of the BDBB backup folder to a new share and then mount it so Crashplan can back it up. Do I have to do anything special to copy stuff off the storage pool? My WHS has been working great and I don't want to mess it up by accessing files the wrong way. Thanks.

P.S. I'm doing this now because Crashplan has a deal for 15% off because Mozy changed their plans. crashplan.com/mozyonover

Backing up the backup database might not be a very workable arrangement, since you can't do incremental backups of it properly. There was a more through explanation in the BDBB add-in website, but iirc you'd end up moving a lot of 4 GB sized files:

I want to start using Crashplan to backup my WHS offsite. I followed the instructions at http://bit.ly/gbytai to mount the shares so Crashplan can back them up. Now I want to add the BDBB backup as well. I had BDBB save the backup to the storage pool so now it is in a strangely named folder on the D: drive. I guess the easiest thing to do is to copy the contents of the BDBB backup folder to a new share and then mount it so Crashplan can back it up. Do I have to do anything special to copy stuff off the storage pool? My WHS has been working great and I don't want to mess it up by accessing files the wrong way. Thanks.

P.S. I'm doing this now because Crashplan has a deal for 15% off because Mozy changed their plans. crashplan.com/mozyonover

Can you configure "one-computer" to be the WHS with Crashplan or do you need a different plan?

*EDIT* Also, does anyone know if it can co-exist with their Friends and Family stuff? I'm going to be setting up some computers to backup to my WHS using the free Crashplan stuff, so I'm wondering if I can use their cloud backup plan for my stuff and still share my WHS for others.

Keith

Edited by Jazman

Can you configure "one-computer" to be the WHS with Crashplan or do you need a different plan?

I haven't found anything on this either. I am hoping there is an add-in for WHS V1. Anyone know?

• Like 1

I haven't found anything on this either. I am hoping there is an add-in for WHS V1. Anyone know?

That would be great...I just reviewed the CrashPlan website and this is exactly what I want. I had considered Carbonite but since all (vast majority) of my data is on the WHS it makes no sense. CrashPlan's ability to backup the WHS is great at a reasonable price. It would just take forever to complete the first backup.

A Add-In would make this so much easier...that is an Add-In I would easily pay for.

Yes you can.

*EDIT* Also, does anyone know if it can co-exist with their Friends and Family stuff? I'm going to be setting up some computers to backup to my WHS using the free Crashplan stuff, so I'm wondering if I can use their cloud backup plan for my stuff and still share my WHS for others.

Keith

Yes you can.

Buying the crashplans plan doesn't disable any features of the client, only adds the possibility to backup to the cloud.

The way i have my account setup:

CrashPlan installed on WHS on Account1, CrashPlan installed on my shellhost with Account2. WHS backs data up to Crashplan Central (CPs cloud service) and to my shellhost.

Also i have three computers (my girlfriends, my sisters and my moms) backing up data to my WHS.

Are you saying you know for sure it will work installed on WHS? Did you find something on their site that mentions WHS (I found nothing specific)? Can you link?

I'm not actually looking at putting all my data up. Not only would it take forever to put up, it would take forever to pull down if you needed it. Plus, backing up alot of that stuff for me isn't a requirement. I just need to backup the photos off-site for marriage preservation and then data as well.

Thanks,

Keith

That would be great...I just reviewed the CrashPlan website and this is exactly what I want. I had considered Carbonite but since all (vast majority) of my data is on the WHS it makes no sense. CrashPlan's ability to backup the WHS is great at a reasonable price. It would just take forever to complete the first backup.

A Add-In would make this so much easier...that is an Add-In I would easily pay for.

Well, since you live in the US, you could have the CrashPlan folk send you 1 TB drive to backup your stuff to, and then send the disk back to them so the backup will finish faster.

And no, there's no add-in for WHS, and AFAIK there's no plans for it as it is. You might poke them about it in their support forums though.

Are you saying you know for sure it will work installed on WHS? Did you find something on their site that mentions WHS (I found nothing specific)? Can you link?

I'm not actually looking at putting all my data up. Not only would it take forever to put up, it would take forever to pull down if you needed it. Plus, backing up alot of that stuff for me isn't a requirement. I just need to backup the photos off-site for marriage preservation and then data as well.

Thanks,

Keith

Yes, it will work when installed in WHS. You do have to go through a couple of hoops, but there's instructions how to do it in CrashPlans support website