RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Attempt at installing ESXi 7.0 on Gen8

timr88

On 5/8/2020 at 1:42 AM, randman said:

This Dynamic DirectPath I/O feature seems interesting. I'm currently using ESXi 6.5 U3 with DirectPath I/O. I don't like how I have to power down the VM to take a snapshot (or backup which needs to do a snapshot). Do you know if this is still the case with Dynamic DirectPath I/O?

Sorry, I can't give you any more insight into how it works.  I've not had time to do any more testing.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sorted

• ak88

• timr88

• Yaffle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gents, I'm making a right pigs ear of this. I can't get a HPE ESXi 7.0 clean install to boot. It builds a UEFI boot system and my Gen8's are MBR/BIOS only. I used to install VMware using: -

formatwithmbr

I'm booting from an internal USB stick and have been since 5.5 using this work around.

I even went down the road of a clean HPE install of 6.5 using formatwithmbr then an upgrade to ESXi 7 using: -

esxcli software vib install -d

After removing the scsi-hpdsa and scsi-hpvsa driverrs and bingo! VMware ESXi, 7.0.0, 15843807 installed! 

Then I patched the host with update manager and I'm stuck being unable to boot again. :(

Any ideas as to how I'm making this so hard for myself?

• 6 months later...

My server was on 6.0.0 so this morning I tried to upgrade to 6.5.0 and was then going to try 6.7.0 then 7.0.1 but the first upgrade failed so I backed up the ESXi config, clean installed 7.0.1 HPE image which went fine and I am now up and running. I wasn't sure what the ESXi config contained so rather than restore it, I manually set up the network and then loaded up my existing VMs from the datastore and configured autostart. 

I have a P222 card and ESXi is stored on an SD card, the integrated RAID was already set to AHCI.

Edited by ak88

• 1 month later...
My server was on 6.0.0 so this morning I tried to upgrade to 6.5.0 and was then going to try 6.7.0 then 7.0.1 but the first upgrade failed so I backed up the ESXi config, clean installed 7.0.1 HPE image which went fine and I am now up and running. I wasn't sure what the ESXi config contained so rather than restore it, I manually set up the network and then loaded up my existing VMs from the datastore and configured autostart. 

I have a P222 card and ESXi is stored on an SD card, the integrated RAID was already set to AHCI.
Can I ask which version you're using please? I'm trying to rebuild mine after purchasing a P222 card and am having a problem with the installer erroring at 5% when installing esxi 7.0.1 to SD card. I have seen mention of VMware-ESXi-7.0.1-17325551-HPE-701.0.0.10.6.5.12-Jan2021-Synergy.iso working but can't find it anywhere.

After further examination it seems to be a problem with the internal SD reader as I've tried esxi 6.5, 6.7, 7.01, Windows 10 and Ubuntu and nothing can write to a card in the internal SD slot 😭

On 2/27/2021 at 2:56 AM, Yaffle said:

After further examination it seems to be a problem with the internal SD reader as I've tried esxi 6.5, 6.7, 7.01, Windows 10 and Ubuntu and nothing can write to a card in the internal SD slot 😭

That sucks, one of my two Gen8 boxes reports a NAND flash error which I think refers to the SD slot. I'm not sure if that might be what has happened to you or not, apparently it's common and there was a firmware fix but it only works if applied before the issue starts.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, Yaffle said:

My Gen8 box also reports iLo problems with NAND/SD-Card and esxi didn't work well being installed on an embedded microSD card -- it would hang/lock up/throw errors at various stages of loading (installation went fine tho). 

I've installed esxi 7 on a USB stick and it boots fine from the internal USB port.

The SD slot definitely isn't working properly. I ended up installing to the USB slot over the weekend and it's working well. I suspect the problem may have been there for a while and I've just not noticed. I tried accessing various cards in the slot with various OS's all with no joy. They could be read from but not written to. I tried the card that had been in use with 6.7 in a different PC and I could read from it and it appeared I could write to it but no changes were actually showing on the card so I think it's taken the card with it. I'm assuming ESXI must have been reading from it but not writing to it.

I've checked and it's not showing any errors at all in ILO.

• 5 months later...

I was playing with vsphere 7 today (latest build) and just did a stock clean install, not the HP image.

P222 raid

the storage on that raid array is incredibly slow, so I’m missing a driver or something. I’ll blow it away and try a supported HP build. 

Can someone share the latest supported image name please? Maybe ver 6.5?

thanks