RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
timr88

Attempt at installing ESXi 7.0 on Gen8

timr88

Hi

Has anyone had any luck with ESXi version 7.0 on the Gen 8 yet?

Although 6.5 was the last officially supported HP image, I am currently running the the HP 6.7 Update 3 image on my Gen8.  However, it seems that in the HP-official 7.0 image, support for the B120i has been dropped as the installer does not detect any RAID arrays but instead detects each disk individually as ATA disks.  (It first failed as it detected two file systems with the same UUID as the RAID array was not visible, but there is an option to bypass this check).

Also the upgrade method of "esxcli software profile update" as I got the following errors:

=

VIB HPE_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.102-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 requires com.vmware.driverAPI-9.2.2.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB MEL_bootbank_nmst_4.0.0.20-1OEM.600.0.0.2295424 requires vmkapi_2_3_0_0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB HPE_bootbank_scsi-hpdsa_5.5.0.54-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 requires com.vmware.driverAPI-9.2.2.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB HPE_bootbank_scsi-hpvsa_5.5.0.102-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 requires vmkapi_2_2_0_0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB QLogic_bootbank_scsi-bfa_3.2.5.0-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 requires vmkapi_2_2_0_0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB HPE_bootbank_hpe-nmi_600.2.4.16-2494575 requires vmkapi_2_3_0_0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB HPE_bootbank_scsi-hpdsa_5.5.0.54-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 requires vmkapi_2_2_0_0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
 VIB QLogic_bootbank_scsi-bfa_3.2.5.0-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 requires com.vmware.driverAPI-9.2.2.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

I notice it is complaining about hpvsa which is the B120i driver, and this appears to have been removed from the ESXi 7.0 HP build. So I think we may be a out of luck.

The only solution I can see is to upgrade to a RAID controller that is supported by the new build.

Has anyone else tried it?

canuckcam

Yes you're right - I have 7.0 installed with the HPE Customized ISO image. Hiccup on first boot, but otherwise subsequent is fine. I do have a P222 in my Microserver so it worked fine but I just checked with a drive on the B120i and you're right -  ESXi doesn't see it. I'll try again later with AHCI mode enabled to see whether that would fix it, if someone else has the time and ability to chime in! The Microserver isn't my main machine so stability wise it hasn't crashed, but I also haven't stressed it yet on 7.0!

timr88

Hi canuckcam

Thanks for your feedback, good to see it should work with a P222

I see a Chinese seller selling P222s with the low profile bracket and battery for ridiculously cheap on eBay - too good to be true maybe?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Smart-Array-P222-6GB-s-512MB-Cache-PCIe-SAS-Controller-633537-001-Battery/142547686513?epid=7034766344&hash=item2130811471:g:gSwAAOSw~vpZ7w9z

sorted

Running Free Hypervisor 7.0 on GEN8 with B120i disabled and running in AHCI mode. No problems so far and stable. I was not able to update from 6.7U3 even after switching to AHCI mode so I did a clean install.

sorted

I did experience that I have a slight issue with adding new hdd's and that i cannot save the configuration. Simply follow instructions below to workaround this issue. This looks like a bug in the web-client.

To work around this - after selecting a datastore with free disk space - either toggle thick/thin provisioning, or temporarily specify a thick disk size that's larger than the free disk space (e.g. make GB -> TB). One of these options should enable the Save button again. Then configure the settings as needed, and save the settings.

venturis
Posted (edited)

Aside from not being able to use the B120i in RAID and having to revert to AHCI everything seemed to go surprisingly smoothly installing from a USB stick on a clean system.

I have a Gen 8 microserver with Xeon e3 1245 processor and 16GB ram which had been working flawlessly with ESXi 5.5 for the last few years and a second Gen 8 Microserver with an Intel i5 3470T and 16GB ram.

For testing purposes one system is fitted with a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD installed in the CDrom bay on SATA Port 5 Running ESXi 7.0 and second system a Samsung EVO850 on Port 5 running ESXi 6.7U3.

After installation I set up a couple of Windows 10 test VM's and checked that I was still able to successfully pass-through my Nvidia gt1030 graphics card to the VM.  Found that ESXi 7.0 offers a more flexible approach to PCI pass-through by allowing pass-through devices to be dynamically attached to VM's to overcome the problems of not being about to migrate or clone VM's with PCI passthrough devices.

Everything seemed to work well including full reporting of hardware status and temps.

When I tested my SSD read/write speed however I found that performance of ESXi 7.0 was not on par with ESXi 6.7.

When testing the performance of the Sandisk Pro SSD with ESXi 7.0 I get the following

time dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=8k count=1000000

1000000+0 records in

1000000+0 records out

real    3m 17.07s

user    0m 11.89s

sys     0m 0.00s

On the Samsung EVO850 SSD datastore with ESXi 6.7U3 using the downgraded HPSVA Driver connected to SATA5:

1000000+0 records in

1000000+0 records out

real    2m 3.58s

user    0m 9.64s

sys     0m 0.00s

Whilst it's not an apples for apples comparison the ESXi 6.7U3 install with the downgrade HPVSA driver does appear to be quite a bit faster than the ESXi 7.0 using AHCI.

Given that it seems no longer possible to use the B120i with a downgrade driver it looks like the only way to get decent performance out of ESXi 7.0 might be with a compatible external disk controller.

Edited by venturis

sepult

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my esxi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 15160138) to 7.0
From the console, i have some errors. see screenshot.
What am i suppose to do with these vibs ?

Thanks

2.png

3.png

1.png

pumek

Esxcli software vib remove

sepult

@pumek, thanks.

how can i know if some of these vibs are used by the system.

i don't have a test plateform. so i don't want to crash my actual prod plateform :)

randman
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 11:32 PM, venturis said:

After installation I set up a couple of Windows 10 test VM's and checked that I was still able to successfully pass-through my Nvidia gt1030 graphics card to the VM.  Found that ESXi 7.0 offers a more flexible approach to PCI pass-through by allowing pass-through devices to be dynamically attached to VM's to overcome the problems of not being about to migrate or clone VM's with PCI passthrough devices.

This Dynamic DirectPath I/O feature seems interesting. I'm currently using ESXi 6.5 U3 with DirectPath I/O. I don't like how I have to power down the VM to take a snapshot (or backup which needs to do a snapshot). Do you know if this is still the case with Dynamic DirectPath I/O?

Edited by randman