RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server board vs desktop board

mattd390

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. I have a WHS based on the Atom d510 platform. It works ok for what I use it for but it seems like as I add more add-ins and other things it is slowing down (and I need more sata ports lol). I am definitely interesting in building an i3 based WHS but I am not sure if I really need to buy a server board or just a standard desktop board. I mainly just use my server to stream movies to my 360's, a ps3 and a wdtv live. I am interested in running virtual servers in the future and would like to have a board that would allow me to test some of that type of software out. Do any of you recommend a specific board or feel that it is a must to go with a server board? Anyone feel that a server board isn't necessary? Thank you for any help!!

Server board wouldn't be necessary for your type of use, at least not for a price differential.

Would the server board provide more throughput when streaming video to multiple sources do you think? Pardon my ignorance!

Would the server board provide more throughput when streaming video to multiple sources do you think? Pardon my ignorance!

Not likely. That is going to be limited by the network, cpu, or hard drive.

Not likely. That is going to be limited by the network, cpu, or hard drive.

Good to know. Thanks for all you help bro, it's much appreciated. Guess I can save a few bucks on a MB now. :)

All the server board will allow you to do, as opposed to a normal desktop board, is run processors such as a Dual Xeon (two sockets on the board) and memory in the 32 and 64 gig range. Normally any socket 1156 board (Intel Core i5 or Core i7) would be good enough for virtual machines at home. STAY AWAY FROM THE NEWER SANDY BRIDGE BOARDS FOR NOW. A Windows Home Server alone can run very well with an Intel Core i3. This build will cost you around $500 or so depending on what parts you have available.

The question I would be asking is how critical is the data on the server, where if you crashed the virtual server (physically or virtually), losing the data from the Home Server would not matter. We do not know what is in the new version (I will in about an hour) but I like things to be dedicated and that means a dedicated Home Server and dedicated virtual server.

I know is it more money but you can always run VM's on an older machine until you get more comfortable with them. Plan for the future and build based on future needs. As AJ said, make sure you internal network is all gigabit to insure the fastest speeds possible.

Just my opinions.

Guest no-control

While I agree to some extent with what has been said so far I would like to point out that server boards usually

• Are built with better components
  • Contain 1 or more Intel NICs
  • Support ECC memory
  • more options with slot configurations and types
  • can contain more sata and sometimes even SAS ports
  • support more RAM both physically and logically
  • Allow remote management (IPMI)

But you also will tend to pay more. For what you are looking to do I would co with a BYOB tried and true tested i3/H55 setup. But honestly your D510 should be able to handle it. get rid of the add-ons keep just those that are truly adding value to your WHS.

While I agree to some extent with what has been said so far I would like to point out that server boards usually

• Support ECC memory

But you also will tend to pay more. For what you are looking to do I would co with a BYOB tried and true tested i3/H55 setup. But honestly your D510 should be able to handle it. get rid of the add-ons keep just those that are truly adding value to your WHS.

I looked into server boards and researched dual NIC and concluded for my purposes I would be better off with the Core i3 / P55-USB3 MB...which is what I plan on building in the next few weeks...just a question of V1 or V2. My home network isn't that taxing that I need a server board at least IMO.

All the server board will allow you to do, as opposed to a normal desktop board, is run processors such as a Dual Xeon (two sockets on the board) and memory in the 32 and 64 gig range. Normally any socket 1156 board (Intel Core i5 or Core i7) would be good enough for virtual machines at home. STAY AWAY FROM THE NEWER SANDY BRIDGE BOARDS FOR NOW. A Windows Home Server alone can run very well with an Intel Core i3. This build will cost you around $500 or so depending on what parts you have available.

The question I would be asking is how critical is the data on the server, where if you crashed the virtual server (physically or virtually), losing the data from the Home Server would not matter. We do not know what is in the new version (I will in about an hour) but I like things to be dedicated and that means a dedicated Home Server and dedicated virtual server.

I know is it more money but you can always run VM's on an older machine until you get more comfortable with them. Plan for the future and build based on future needs. As AJ said, make sure you internal network is all gigabit to insure the fastest speeds possible.

Just my opinions.

My roommate just learned the lesson about the Sandy Bridge boards... his was shipped out the day before the big announcement lol. It runs so fast then he isn't to pissed off I guess. He will just have to exchange the board when the time comes. Newegg even sent out an email to him explaining how they will handle all of that.

Thanks for all of the advice!

• Support ECC memory

Thanks for all of the info No-control. You can only use ECC memory with Xeons correct? The remote management sounds pretty cool but I don't know how often I would even use it. I am now just starting to see what other stuff my WHS can do besides being a platform to server movies off and something to backups my pcs. My D510 does do a pretty good job at running the WHS I just figured a little more speed wouldn't hurt. Maybe I should just save my money... :).

Thanks again for the replies guys.

I agree with no control and go with a I3 setup as is will be more that enough for V1 or V2. Your D510 will handle most of what you are throwing at it unless you load add-ins. Overall if I where build something today I would go for the I3/H55. All three of my servers are running I3 and I have great success with them. I have one running V1, one with 2011, and one with 200R2 and perform very well even under load.