RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

How to identify a device on my network

Rodf

I've got a Synology router, which I totally love!! (I was advised to get one here on these forums and believe me, that was wonderful advise!!) I thought I'd get onto my Synology web interface, was checking the devices connected. I noticed 3, all connected to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band. They all have names like this: ESP_3AE9D7. I can ping them fine. I tried FTP'ing into one of them, but the connection was refused. So, how do I go about identifying what these devices are?

schoondoggy

Do you have any smart home items? Smart plugs perhaps?

• Like 1

Rodf

Yes I do, Schondoggy. That would explain it perfectly. Thank you!!

nrf

my govind sensor hub has a similar name. must be some common open source code involved

Al_Borges

When my NAS was being attacked last fall, One of the things I did was do a full inventory off all devices on my home network. Recorded IP, mac address,device id and location.

Was concerned that something was compromised and phoning home

Then in my router assigned descriptive names and reserved IP adressses for all devices that are open to the outer world routinely

Couldnt id one device, so i just locked it out. Turned out to be a bluray player that is rarely used

Only took a couple of hours initially. Easy to maintain

Just because you are paranoid, doesnt mean they are not out to get you!

• Like 1