RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What drives to use...new build

JediTim

After reading a thread in the questions forum in regards to stuttering video I had concern on the storage drives for my WHS V1 rebuild and wanted your opinions.

I guess I will ask the question then to ensure I use the right drives for a rebuild of WHS V1...I plan on using:

-Primary drive -WD Black, RE4 1Tb drive

Which drive should I choose as the secondary drives:

-WD Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB -WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB

-WD AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB

-WD Caviar Green WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN 2TB

There are no models on Newegg with EADS...they appear to be discontinued.

I have read about issues with Advanced Format drives and wanted to ensure that I don't have any issues.

What drives do you use? Can I use any of the above drives?

Thanks, Tim

I use 3 jumpered WD20EARS drives in my EX495, which in my experience work just fine. The system drive is a Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB. I chose that one because it had high ratings on Passmark's Hard Drive Benchmarks site. I believe the Read and Writes were somewhere around 140MB/s. Also, this drive runs cooler than the original Seagate drive. That's something I like to keep a handle on, figuring cooler components equal longer life. Right now, the temps of the drives in my EX495 measured in Celsius are:

30 - Samsung (system)

38 - WD20EARS (pool)

34 - WD20EARS (pool)

34 - WD20EARS (backup)

For what it's worth, when I got my first WD20EARS drive, I added it as a backup drive to the EX495 and ran a benchmark on it. The results were a joke, somewhere around 5 to 10MB/s, if that. I then removed the drive, jumpered it, and reinstalled it as a backup drive once more and the benches were right in the range you'd expect to see. Can't remember the exact speeds, but I was quite satisfied.

I use 3 jumpered WD20EARS drives in my EX495, which in my experience work just fine. The system drive is a Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB. I chose that one because it had high ratings on Passmark's Hard Drive Benchmarks site. I believe the Read and Writes were somewhere around 140MB/s. Also, this drive runs cooler than the original Seagate drive. That's something I like to keep a handle on, figuring cooler components equal longer life. Right now, the temps of the drives in my EX495 measured in Celsius are:

30 - Samsung (system)

38 - WD20EARS (pool)

34 - WD20EARS (pool)

34 - WD20EARS (backup)

For what it's worth, when I got my first WD20EARS drive, I added it as a backup drive to the EX495 and ran a benchmark on it. The results were a joke, somewhere around 5 to 10MB/s, if that. I then removed the drive, jumpered it, and reinstalled it as a backup drive once more and the benches were right in the range you'd expect to see. Can't remember the exact speeds, but I was quite satisfied.

What did you use to benchmark your WHS drives? I am almost afraid to see what I am getting from my drives?

I am currently using two AV-GP drives in my system and didn't realize they were Advanced Format drives and probably should have them jumpered. Would you not consider these over the EARS drives?

Also...in looking up the Samsung drive I saw the HD204UI which is well rated and has a good price of $80 each. Maybe I seitch from WD to Samsung!

Also...in looking up the Samsung drive I saw the HD204UI which is well rated and has a good price of $80 each. Maybe I seitch from WD to Samsung!

I would not use that drive given it is only 5400 rpm. It may not cause video streaming to stutter, but why get a slower drive?

I would not use that drive given it is only 5400 rpm. It may not cause video streaming to stutter, but why get a slower drive?

Isn't this the same as the Green drives from WD?

What did you use to benchmark your WHS drives? I am almost afraid to see what I am getting from my drives?

I used Crystal Disk Mark 3.x.x portable edition (zip), or CDM as it is referred to. The sequential read/write benchmarks for the WD20EARS backup drive in my EX495 are Read=95 and Write=95. I ran CDM's default test which is 5 runs of 1000MB of Random data. For a system drive, read/write speed for smaller files is more critical than for larger files since the OS deals mostly deals with smaller files. That being the case, the last two tests carry more weight when determining which to choose for a system drive.

I am currently using two AV-GP drives in my system and didn't realize they were Advanced Format drives and probably should have them jumpered. Would you not consider these over the EARS drives?

The AV-GP is another drive that needs to be jumpered (pins 7-8) when used with WHS. They benchmark lower than the WD20EARS according to Passmark. So if it were me, I'd go with the WD20EARS. But not for the system drive.

Also...in looking up the Samsung drive I saw the HD204UI which is well rated and has a good price of $80 each. Maybe I switch from WD to Samsung!

The HD204UI is an Advanced Format drive. Advanced Format drives are not recommended for use as a WHS system drive. That's been everyone's understanding. The advice may or may not be correct, but I'm not going to test it. I will stick with a traditionally formatted drive, and one that is fast and cool running.

The AV-GP is another drive that needs to be jumpered (pins 7-8) when used with WHS. They benchmark lower than the WD20EARS according to Passmark. So if it were me, I'd go with the WD20EARS. But not for the system drive.

The HD204UI is an Advanced Format drive. Advanced Format drives are not recommended for use as a WHS system drive. That's been everyone's understanding. The advice may or may not be correct, but I'm not going to test it. I will stick with a traditionally formatted drive, and one that is fast and cool running.

Now I am totally confused. Are you saying I should use the EARS drives? This thread on Stuttering Video indicated that the EARS drives were the one to avoid. One thing I noticed is that the EADS drives have been discontinued from Newegg but I did find the drives on Amazon. If I use the EARS drives do I need to jump the 7-8 pins?

I also ran HD Tune last night on my WHS after getting it to finally run. Three of my four drives are more than fine...even one of the AV-GP drives has no issue. The other AV-GP drive is down to 3/Mb...this is obviously the drive causing me issues. I do have a couple of other available drives that I will install tonight without adding to the pool to see what the data transfer rate is...I will also check to see if I should add the jumper to the drives.

Tim

Now I am totally confused. Are you saying I should use the EARS drives? This thread on Stuttering Video indicated that the EARS drives were the one to avoid. One thing I noticed is that the EADS drives have been discontinued from Newegg but I did find the drives on Amazon. If I use the EARS drives do I need to jump the 7-8 pins?

I also ran HD Tune last night on my WHS after getting it to finally run. Three of my four drives are more than fine...even one of the AV-GP drives has no issue. The other AV-GP drive is down to 3/Mb...this is obviously the drive causing me issues. I do have a couple of other available drives that I will install tonight without adding to the pool to see what the data transfer rate is...I will also check to see if I should add the jumper to the drives.

Tim

Yes, I am saying that you can use the EARS drives as anything but the system drive in WHS, provided you jumper pins 7-8 before installing them. Also, do not run the alignment utility, just jumper them and you'll be fine. For what it's worth, I wireless stream movies from my server to an htpc and there is no stuttering.

As to that other thread, people are not saying to avoid EARS drives. They are saying that they are Advanced Format drives and as such should be jumpered (pins 7-8), and not used as a system drive. Understand that when you add the jumper, all data on that drive will be lost.

If that AV-GP drive is reading 3MB/s and you're going to jumper it, again understand that whatever data is on that drive will be lost. So, remove the drive the proper way in console, even if it takes some time.

To sum up the use of Advanced Format drives with WHS:

Do
not
run WD's alignment utility

Do
not
use as a system drive

Do jumper pins 7-8 before adding to the server

Do understand that all data is lost when you add the jumper

Isn't this the same as the Green drives from WD?

Not sure, but I wouldn't use those drives either. Again, not saying they will cause problems. I just view it as going backwards.

If you do get one of those WD EARS drives you may want to look up wdidle3.exe. I used to on my drives to help with excessive head parking. There are articles out there that explain it way better then I can. Hope this helps!