RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Using a second keyboard with a laptop

Rodf

Like most, if not all, of us I'm working from home (WFH). I'm having to use a work laptop, which is older. I've been doing this for two weeks and am likely to continue for another two weeks at least.

One thing I'm very conscious of is ergonomics in my work environment. At home, with my desktop, I've got things set up well, ergonomically speaking. At work, basically the same thing. However, WFH with the work laptop, not so much. I have a second monitor connected to the work laptop's docking station. That second monitor is in a good position for viewing. But the laptop's monitor is too long. After two weeks of WFH I'm finding I'm hunching too much. I could get some books and raise the laptop, but then the keyboard would be in a bad position, causing me to place my arms in a position more conducive to promoting carpel tunnel syndrome. My wife and I were talking this over and she suggested, if its possible, I could attach a second, basic keyboard to the work laptop's docking station.

This seems like a great solution, but will it work? I don't know how good the work laptop's Bluetooth is - it is an older laptop. Likely whatever Bluetooth capabilities it has are out of date with current Bluetooth capabilities. So, I was thinking a simple, basic USB keyboard. But is it possible to connect a second keyboard to a laptop? If so, how to I configure Windows 10 Enterprise to recognize the second keyboard as the primary keyboard input device?

Trig0r

USB keyboard will be fine, either directly to the laptop or via the dock..

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• olivermills6
      By olivermills6
      I'm not 100% sure about this so am posting on here to see if anyone else has had the same issue. There seem to be creaks being made when I try to press the buttons of the Surface keyboard that are near the corners. Also, there appears to be a bubble of air underneath part of the cover, near the mouse pad. The creaks make the cover uncomfortable to use.

Has anyone else experienced these? I'm going to try to get a replacement cover!

Oli
    • Daigen
      By Daigen
      I've been having some wierd hardware failures on my Surface Pro 3
      1. Type Cover no longer works. None of the keys respond nor does the touch pad. I reversed the cover (so the keys were touching the back of the surface) and I think that's when this started. I tried another Type Cover and that didn't work either.
      2. External display no longer works while docked in Surface dock.
      3. The CAPS LOCK on the virtual keyboard with stay on sometimes. So I need to hit the shift key every time I want to type a lower case letter. This seems to be random and isolated to IE.
      4. Plugged in a pair of headphones and the audio driver failed and I could get sound restored. Only way to fix was to refresh Windows 10. Super random and bizarre. But only happened once so far.
      5. Screen rotation no longer works. I can set the screen orientation to portrait in the display settings and lock the rotation, but upon logging back in after sleep it reverts back to landscape.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 a few times as an upgrade from the factory installed windows 8. I've also done a couple of refreshes without keeping personal files and settings.

This all just happened suddenly without me installing any new software or any other hardware incidents (dropping, water damage, etc.). I do have Windows Update set to auto, but if it was a bad update the previous attempts at the Windows 10 reinstall and refresh should have proved that out.

So any ideas?

I bought this SP3 at release so I think I'm just past the 1 year warranty.

It seems like a mix of hardware and OS level failures but maybe its mostly hardware?
      Has there been any announcements for trading up a SP3 to an SP4?

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      What wireless keyboards & Mice do folks like in applications like:

1. Kitchen PC

2. Living RM PC