RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

Added SAS HBA, but red light bar on the box, advice please

TomP

I've added my 4i SAS HBA and checked it is recognised / working in Win 10 Device Manager, I then moved the system mini-SAS cable to the new card with the OS SSD still on B120i for the moment

When I power up, I get B120i error messages saying the 4 HDDs are failed (i.e. missing?) but when I select F2 to continue, Win 10 still boots up OK and the 4 drives now show in Explorer and the DrivePool is there, so it mostly looks OK, but there is now constant flickering HDD access lights on the HBA card and HDD clicking, whilst the bottom light bar turned to red.

Being a timid newbie, I tried to find the B120i user guide and I found a link here but it didn't work and couldn't find it online, so what should I do the correct the red light and B120i errors?

schoondoggy

The B120i showed an error because after reboot it was missing drives as you moved the drives to a different controller. It should not show that error after future reboots.

Drive clicking is generally not a good sign. It could be that DrivePool is checking drives. You should check in their tools to see that everything is OK. The red light on the front of the server should be listed in the error log in iLo. Log into iLo to see if an error is listed there.

This is the B120i user guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03326739

• Like 1

TomP
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

The B120i showed an error because after reboot it was missing drives as you moved the drives to a different controller. It should not show that error after future reboots.

It continues to show B120i errors even after reboot. Even when I shut down, the red light continues to flash and I had to pull out the power cord to stop it. On hard restart, the blue light showed all the way through successful Win 10 boot-up but I returned to the server 10min later and the red light was flashing again. I could not see in the B120i User Guide how to simply remove drives and/or array of individual RAID 0 drives, but might that action be the solution for the flashing red?

The red light on the front of the server should be listed in the error log in iLo. Log into iLo to see if an error is listed there.

Sadly I do not have ILO4 working, even after a lot of complex advice here and from HP support, and now the 3 year Advanced license has expired. Is there any other way to access the error log? I did see an long error log in Intelligent Provisioning, is that the same?

Drive clicking is generally not a good sign. It could be that DrivePool is checking drives. You should check in their tools to see that everything is OK

I raised a topic here and with Stablebit (for Scanner) because I could not see any drive info and the advice was that it might be fixed by replacing B120i with an HBA controller. I just checked and indeed that solved the problem and I could see that Scanner never ran in the 4 years since I installed it !! It is running now and the amount of clicking is much reduced as it gradually scans the disks, so thanks for that hint.

schoondoggy

At boot have you entered the SSA to see if it is showing errors or issues with the B120i?

You likely need to tell the B20i to for get the four drives you removed from it.

TomP
2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

At boot have you entered the SSA to see if it is showing errors or issues with the B120i?

Is SSA the 'Smart Storage Administrator' ? How do I know if I already have this in my system? or is this the latest version that I need to load?

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_6b906530d6624549bff23e4eab

2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

You likely need to tell the B120i to forget the four drives you removed from it

I assumed that I would need to do this but I went through the user guide to find how but could not see where this was covered, so can you point me where to find how to do this?

Update:  I did find a later version of the B120i driver which I installed. This changed the behaviour of the flashing, bringing it earlier before Win 10 had completed booting, but the end result is still red flashing.

Thanks as always for your patient help

schoondoggy

SSA is Smart Storage Administrator, during boot there should be an option to configure the B120i, that is how you enter the SSA. 

You can also download the offline version of the SSA, load that on a USB and boot from it.

TomP
17 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

SSA is Smart Storage Administrator, during boot there should be an option to configure the B120i

Thanks. I ran the SSA and removed all the HDDs, but the red light is still flashing.

The SSA diagnostic report shows just the OS SSD on B120i and the 4 HDDs on the HBA card with no errors, although it would not let me select a USB disk to save it.

I removed the mini-SAS cable from the adaptor card and powered up again and Win 10 booted with the blue light, so I reconnected the 

cable again and this time got the blue light !! I'm not entirely why this should have fixed things. Thanks for your help.