RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to rebuild a RAID 1

patxi

Hello!!
I was looking for an explanation or a tutorial to rebuild a RAID 1 on my  GEN 7 N54L with 2 HDD's.
Can anyone help me??
Thanks.

Edited by patxi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• BooyaK
      By BooyaK
      Hi all

Apologies for hijacking a new thread as I couldn’t easily find an existing post which described this..

I have an original HP Microserver N36L from 2012 that am Iooking to upgrade to a Gen 10 Plus.

In the N36L I have added a Smart Array P410 with 256MB FBWC (via ebay) configured with 4 x 2TB WD Green drives with RAID5 (6TB logical) along with a 256GB SSD as a boot system drive in the ODD bay (with the BIOS mod of course) plus a PCIe x1 video card.

The server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 but looking to uplift to 2019 (and maybe 2022 once it comes out) for general home enthusiast use mainly as a file server and to test VMs for labs.

Am I able to “lift and shift” the drive array subsystem from the old to new server? I have done this on the DL380s in the past as the controllers and drives hold the RAID config.

I guess I’m happy to get a new boot SSD if required (maybe boot issues between AMD and Intel CPU) but may have constraints mentioned below with the 5th interface.

Have read from the various great posts by schoondoggy etc. that the P410 has issues with UEFI etc, so looking at a compatible option that’s not the “latest and greatest” eg something that can bought via ebay second-hand and relatively inexpensive (the E208i-p maybe stretching it…) and can of course read the existing RAID5 array config from the drives.

Once moved across, I plan to progressively update them to larger HDD or SSDs and use the Smart Array expansion utility to expand the RAID-5 logical drive size once array rebuilds are complete.

From what I understand I can’t add the 5th drive as there is no onboard NVMe or SATA connector. There is USB3 to boot off a thumb drive of course which is great for VMWare ESXi but maybe not for Windows…

If I add the Smart Array card I guess it may limit my options as I understand it only has one PCIe x16 slot so can’t do both.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other techniques (for example I’m not fussed with the expansion iLo slot but I think dedicated for that purpose only)?
      I have also looked at some of the great Servethehome reviews and benchmarks too but these are early 2020 and things may have evolved since then.

Thanks in advance!
    • matthewharmon102
      By matthewharmon102
      So after over a year, I have finally purchased the parts I need to expand my storage. I am having issues getting it set up and working.
      I have 2 gen8 MicroServers. Server 1 runs Xpenology, with 4x WD Red drives in the internal drive bays connected to the on board B120i, and 1x Crucial 960GB SSD Cache drive connected to the ODD port. The system boots from a USB stick. Server 2 runs Windows 10 and Plex from a 120GB SSD connected to the ODD port. It also has 2x 2TB drives connected to the B120i

What I have done is installed an HP 212 card in Server 1, and connected the internal drive bay of server 2 to the P212 in server 1. Server 1 recognises the P212 and can se the 2x 2TB drives.

The problem occurs once Xpenology boots. It doesn't see any additional drives, just the 4 drives connected to the B120i. When I first set up the server, I did no configuration on the B120i, so I assume this is running in ACHI mode, and no raid is enabled. I don't know if I need to set this up on the P212, but I haven't found an option for this.

I don't yet know what firmware the P212 is running, but I will be running the SPP updated tonight to see if a firmware update sorts it out, but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas