RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

SSD disk cache?

TomP

Is it possible to set up an SSD disk cache and for security, does it need a second SSD in RAID1, W10 Disk Mirror or DrivePool as all these are available to me and it would also help to understand the pros vs Cons of each method?

schoondoggy

If you use DrivePool, look at SSD Optimizer.

TomP
19 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

If you use DrivePool, look at SSD Optimiser.

Thanks. Is there any recommendation on the size of the SSDs needed and whether the cacheing process reduces the life of the SSDs?

Trig0r

Size of the SSD would depend on what files you are throwing around surely?

schoondoggy
3 hours ago, TomP said:

Thanks. Is there any recommendation on the size of the SSDs needed and whether the cacheing process reduces the life of the SSDs?

That would be a good question to ask the Drivepool team. Writing to an SSD is what wears them out. Caching can be write intensive, but many times caching can be read intensive, download a Windows update once and read it many times to all of the computers in your home,

TomP
On 3/20/2020 at 1:52 PM, schoondoggy said:

That would be a good question to ask the Drivepool team. Writing to an SSD is what wears them out. Caching can be write intensive, but many times caching can be read intensive, download a Windows update once and read it many times to all of the computers in your home,

Surely using SSDs to cache read / write to SATA HDDs means that no data is retained but gradually moved to the HDDs, so the Write traffic is constant / high? I didn't think that '"most used" data is retained as in your Win update example - or am I missing something?

I did get a reply from Chris (Drashna here) from Stablebit / DrivePool / SSD Optimiser and he has used 128GB drives in his setup and they are "close to 100% wear, but that's after 4-5 years" so performance must have been dropping for some time before that.

Now I'm beginning to understand what I'm looking for, I found an excellent YouTube video explaining the difference between Samsung QVO (=QLC) and EVO (=TLC) and contrasted lifetime with earlier (Pro) MLC that gives best wear out (= highest TBW) with each later generation successively halving the TBW spec and is reflected in the warranty Samsung offer...

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty/

Looking on Amazon, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB is 5-year warranty 300TBW MLC price £79.49 compare to 960 EVO 3-year 100TBW 250GB warranty TLC at £53.99. This seems to be a reasonable price to pay for higher warranty / TBW, whilst also twice the size of the drives used by Chris.

The cheapest TLC equivalent I can find is Crucial BX500 250GB at half the price but only 3-year 80 TBW warranty,  so I think the Samsung 850 Pro is best for this seemingly high-write caching application.

Feedback on my logic would be much appreciated. Thanks