RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Few upgrade questions

Shuttleu

So after owning a MSG7 and upgrading to a MSG8, then owning that for a few years, I've decided to give it a bit of love and attention now that prices have come down considerably.

I've already bought a E3-1265L V2, that'll be coming in a few days.
Some new ram will be arriving in a few days, too.
Both of these should just be a straight swap, correct?
By reading here on the forums, although the CPU is 45W and the heatsink is only rated for 35W, I shouldn't have too much of an issue with heat.

I'm currently running a RAID 5 Volume using 4 6TB WD Red drives plugged into a P410, I was thinking of switching over to SAS. I have read that SAS is more reliable and has faster speeds? Plus I assume I'll be able to hot swap if I switch to SAS?

I'm also looking at switching over to the P420, once again shouldn't be any issue but would I need to get a new cache module, or would my 1GB FBWC from my P410 work in a P420?

I'm sure there was something else I was meant to ask, if I think of it, I'll post it here.

11 hours ago, Shuttleu said:

So after owning a MSG7 and upgrading to a MSG8, then owning that for a few years, I've decided to give it a bit of love and attention now that prices have come down considerably.

I've already bought a E3-1265L V2, that'll be coming in a few days.
Some new ram will be arriving in a few days, too.
Both of these should just be a straight swap, correct?
By reading here on the forums, although the CPU is 45W and the heatsink is only rated for 35W, I shouldn't have too much of an issue with heat.

I'm currently running a RAID 5 Volume using 4 6TB WD Red drives plugged into a P410, I was thinking of switching over to SAS. I have read that SAS is more reliable and has faster speeds? Plus I assume I'll be able to hot swap if I switch to SAS?

I'm also looking at switching over to the P420, once again shouldn't be any issue but would I need to get a new cache module, or would my 1GB FBWC from my P410 work in a P420?

I'm sure there was something else I was meant to ask, if I think of it, I'll post it here.

Be sure you have the latest system BIOS installed.

CPU and memory should be swap outs as long as the memory is UDIMM.

The SAS interface, 12Gb/s, is twice as fast as the SATA interface, 6Gb/s, but you will not likely see much difference in performance on disk drives. Sustained throughput on SAS and SATA disk drives is roughly the same, 150-200MB/s.  SATA disks on a P410 runs at 3Gb/s. SATA disks on a P420 run at 6Gb/s. The cache modules on the P410 and P420 are not the same. The P420 with a 2GB cache modules would help performance. Moving from a P410 to P420 should be a simple swap. be sure the P410 and P420 are running the latest firmware prior to swapping.

Always have a clean backup of your data before making any changes. 

Everything is up to date so far, the ram is HMT41GU7AFR8C-PB PC3-12800E, so unbuffered ECC.

I'll look at getting a P420 with the 2gb cache, it's not that much more anyway.

I would like to switch over to SAS if possible, looking online everyone says they have a higher MTBF (1M hours for sata vs 1.5M hours for SAS) and faster seek times. Plus I can get them for roughly the same price as SATA drives, with faster RPM and more cache.

Looking at the P420 docs, it says "Mix-and-match SAS and SATA hard drives, lets user deploy drive technology as needed to fit users computing environment".

Going by this, as each of my drives fail, I can replace it with a SAS drive and slowly switch over, correct?

1 hour ago, Shuttleu said:

Everything is up to date so far, the ram is HMT41GU7AFR8C-PB PC3-12800E, so unbuffered ECC.

I'll look at getting a P420 with the 2gb cache, it's not that much more anyway.

I would like to switch over to SAS if possible, looking online everyone says they have a higher MTBF (1M hours for sata vs 1.5M hours for SAS) and faster seek times. Plus I can get them for roughly the same price as SATA drives, with faster RPM and more cache.

Looking at the P420 docs, it says "Mix-and-match SAS and SATA hard drives, lets user deploy drive technology as needed to fit users computing environment".

Going by this, as each of my drives fail, I can replace it with a SAS drive and slowly switch over, correct?

I frequently use SAS drives as they can be the same price per TB as SATA. That said SAS drives are not more reliable than SATA. Some drive models come in either SAS or SATA interface. The drive reliability will be the same, it is the same drive, just a different interface. In some cases the SAS drive you are buying is a better drive, not because it is SAS, but because it is a enterprise/datacenter designed drive. As it is a better built drive it may last longer, but the data on failures from cloud storage companies tends to show there is not much of a difference in real failure rates between consumer and datacenter drives. Faster seek times and transfer rates are a function of RPM and density per platter, not SAS vs SATA. Yes you can move to SAS a drive at a time.

There was a document on migrating arrays between Smart Array controllers, but I cant seem to track it down.

The attached link is for Dynamic RAID controllers like the B120i, but the process of migrating an array from a B120i to a P420, would be very similar to migrating from a P410 to a P420:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03326739