RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is the ML310e v2 just a larger Microserver Gen 8?

TomP

Look identical to me, but with the capacity to add extra drives in the two 5.25 bays and very affordable on Ebay. Am I missing something?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• TomP

• orcf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have both. The ml310 is like a tower pc, not a small factor like the microserver.
The power consumption is little bit higher.
Both can do the same

ML310e v2 has four UDIMM slots so it supports 32GB of memory.

Also has four PCIe slots:

Slot 4 PCIe 3.0 Bus X8 Connector X16 Full Length/Full Height 

Slot 3 PCIe 3.0 Bus X8 Connector X8 Full Length/Full Height 

Slot 2 PCIe 2.0 Bus X1 Connector x8 Full Length/Full Height 

Slot 1 PCIe 2.0 Bus X1 Connector X4 Half Length/Full Height 

11 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

ML310e v2 has four UDIMM slots so it supports 32GB of memory.

Also has four PCIe slots:

Slot 4 PCIe 3.0 Bus X8 Connector X16 Full Length/Full Height 

Slot 3 PCIe 3.0 Bus X8 Connector X8 Full Length/Full Height 

Slot 2 PCIe 2.0 Bus X1 Connector x8 Full Length/Full Height 

Slot 1 PCIe 2.0 Bus X1 Connector X4 Half Length/Full Height 

Thanks.

I found a more up to date spec here... https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04123183.pdf?ver=28

...which seems to indicate that it is even closer to the Microserver Gen 8, especially the B120i controller.

The many Xeon options seem very close together in performance and not a lot different to the 1265L v2 that I am adding to mg Gen 8, so even more commonality.

The other attraction to me is that it has 2x5.25in bays which hopefully could be used to add a further 2x3.5 and 4x2.5 hard drives.

You advised me to buy a LSI SAS 4i for my Microserver in another thread, so would it make sense to buy an 8i controller and completely bypass the B120i SAS controller completely with everything set to AHCI ? or might it still make sense to use B120i AHCI ports 1 & 2 for RAID / Mirrored OS SSDs to maximise use of the 8 SAS controller ports?

The power supply is much higher capacity than the Gen 8, so presumably it will handle all of the additions?

This would result in a an extra larger version of the Gen 8 at a cost not much more than adding a 4-bay USB bay to my current Gen 8, so should it all work?

Thanks

The 8i version would make sense.

Using the onboard B120i/SATA controller for a RAID1 boot would be a good idea as well.

2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The 8i version would make sense.

Using the onboard B120i/SATA controller for a RAID1 boot would be a good idea as well.

Thanks,

To fit 1x 3.5 and 2x2.5 into the 2x5.25 bays....

I fitted this in my N40L - IcyDock Flex-Fit Trio

I have seen this on this site - MB322SP-B

...but I've also seen another bay (maybe in a Joe Miner post) that has lockable / removable 2.5 bays, so can you advise on which would be best?

I use mine for FreeNAS. Installed a ssd usb inside for booting. Then I use the 4bays in ahci mode to provide the disks to FreeNAS.
Wen I bought I came with a p222 raid card but won’t use it on my config.

1 hour ago, orcf said:

I use mine for FreeNAS. Installed a ssd usb inside for booting. Then I use the 4bays in ahci mode to provide the disks to FreeNAS.
When I bought I came with a p222 raid card but won’t use it on my config.

Interesting. Most of the SAS controllers seem to be HP 220 so is there a reason not to use this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H220-6Gbps-SAS-PCI-E-3-0-LSI-9205-8i-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-SAS2308-IT/124110726730

Edited by TomP
incorrect model number

5 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

...Using the onboard B120i/SATA controller for a RAID1 boot would be a good idea as well.

Apologies, I thought I'd already submitted but obviously forgot the hit the Submit button.

I will be using Windows 10 as on my Gen8 in your other post on my Gen 8, where you provided a link to mirror dynamic disks instead of using the B120i, so which do you think would be best?

2 hours ago, TomP said:

Apologies, I thought I'd already submitted but obviously forgot the hit the Submit button.

I will be using Windows 10 as on my Gen8 in your other post on my Gen 8, where you provided a link to mirror dynamic disks instead of using the B120i, so which do you think would be best?

There is seldom a 'best' choice, there is what works for you. From what you have shared, mirroring boot disks in Windows 10 may be a good idea. Set up a mirrored pair of boot disks and simulate a drive failure to see if it recovers like you expect it to. 

2 hours ago, TomP said:

Interesting. Most of the SAS controllers seem to be HP 220 so is there a reason not to use this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H220-6Gbps-SAS-PCI-E-3-0-LSI-9205-8i-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-SAS2308-IT/124110726730

That should work fine for a SAS HBA.