RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Converting my desktop

Rodf

I've got a 6 or 7 year old HP desktop, which is really beginning to feel it's age. I'm beginning to have some serious problems with it. I use it for development. It had 2 platter HDs. I'm convinced I'm going to have to replace the primary drive.

So I'm thinking of putting in a SSD for the primary drive. How do I go about converting my machine to use a SSD instead of a platter drive?

nrf

when last I did one of these I put the ssd in a usb dock, used the included software to clone the c drive to it, then switched put the ssd in the place where the spinner was. hopefully you have some backup mechanism in case issues arise.

• Like 1

Al_Borges

You didnt mention your OS

One of the best features of windows 10 is the ability to reset the OS from a simple reset to a full blown reformat and reinstall

A fresh w10 install is the best way to bring new life to a older mach9ne in my experience

You dont even have to touch your old disk. Just download a new image and install on your SSD

• Like 1

itGeeks

I agree with both nrf and Al. I dont know if all the manufacturers of SSD come with cloning software but I do know the very popular and good Samsung ssd come with it.

For quick and easy, clone the drive but if you want to do it right then backup your files and do a fresh install. Every few years I always do a fresh install of the OS and it's amazing the new life it breathes.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

As others have said a fresh install is the best route.

Belarc Advisor is a great tool to give you an inventory of what is installed on your current drive:

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

If you are on Windows 10, Windows Media Creation Tool will create an image for a clean install:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Like 1

Rodf

nrf, Al, itGeeks and Schoondoggy, all great responses. 

Sorry I didn't think of the OS. I'm running Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit on this machine.

I've used Belarc Advisor before, when migrating to this machine oh back in the day, whenever it was. I intend to do that again to inventory what I've got. Might not want to bring all the baggage I've accumulated over the years to a new SSD drive.

I don't think I have a USB dock on this machine. Just space for the two platter drives I've got in it. I intend to keep the D drive. It has my source code, although I realize that both TFVC and Git might not recognize the difference in a primary drive, after moving to a different primary. That really will be a pain, but I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

I am partial to both Samsung, Seagate and Western Digital HD's. I'm sure they all have SSD drives, too.

Al, you said that Windows 10 does allow me to reset the OS, I presume on a new drive, correct. That would be nice, so that I don't have to purchase another Windows 10 Pro license, since I already have this one. How do I go about doing that?

Al_Borges

First I would check that you have a verified license in system settings

Then copy your data off your c drive as needed

Create usb media as described by schoondoggy above

Swap out your old drive for the new ssd

Boot and install from the usb stick

Your new install should activate automatically

I think that Microsoft finally got this right

ShadowPeo

ShowKeyPlus is great for extracting keys if needed, use it all the time for extracting versions and keys to reset factory laptops at return time