RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

hp mediasmart Q on backup and duplication

capall

Hi, I am interested in buying an whs, possibly a ex490/ex495 and just heard this situation on the podcast;

If you use the server to store your documents and access then through your laptops, if you delete a file accidentally, its gone. There's no history folder to recover the file. And even with duplication ON, If you delete the file remotely via the laptop, its gone immediately from the duplicated drive also, correct?

I understand that duplication is to guard against drive failure, however if the above is correct, and I still want to keep my files on the server,....Is there a way to avoid this situation and have duplication also running.

Thanks

Capall

What you'd have to do in that case is to do backups of the WHS shares to a non-pooled hard drive on the WHS.

Hi, I am interested in buying an whs, possibly a ex490/ex495 and just heard this situation on the podcast;

If you use the server to store your documents and access then through your laptops, if you delete a file accidentally, its gone. There's no history folder to recover the file. And even with duplication ON, If you delete the file remotely via the laptop, its gone immediately from the duplicated drive also, correct?

I understand that duplication is to guard against drive failure, however if the above is correct, and I still want to keep my files on the server,....Is there a way to avoid this situation and have duplication also running.

Thanks

Capall

Yes. Install TimeTraveler and you can go back and recover the previous days copy if you have TimeTraveler backing up nightly. It is a nice add-in.

thanks usacomp2k3

so 3 drives would be involved....d1 holding media which is duplicated to d2 and specific folders in d1 are backed up to non pooled drive 3..what would happen if I needed drives 1/2 to hold media and wanted to run duplication?

Can drive 3 be an external drive

side note....If I am using pooled drives and using duplication, and since there's 4 drives in the ex490 for example, if I have decided to use drives 1 and 2 as the pooled, then are drives 3/4 also pooled but are used as the duplicate drives? correct?..or could some explain it better?

Thanks

capall

You can pool as many drives as you want. If you have 3 drives, you can have 2 of them pooled and 1 as a backup. If you have 4 drives, 3 pooled 1 backup. As long as you have >=2 drives, you can enable duplication. It doesn't matter how many drives there are as long as there are at least 2. And yes, you can use external drives, both eSATA and USB (or even firewire). WHS treats internal drives just the same as external and you can choose to add them to the pool regardless of the **ternal status.

thanks

so in my example I could have drive 1 duplicated to drive 2 and drive 1 backed up to drive 3 (or an external) OR later as my needs grow, I could have drives 1 and 2 pooled and duplicating to drives 3 and 4 and use an external drive as a backup for certain folders in the pooled drives 1,2 and this external drive could be a 4 bay esata enclosure or a single drive.

Correct.?

btw...do whs users generally keep documents on their client PC's and backup to whs, and keep media only on whs....or have everything on the server for clients to access?

thanks for any feedback

capall

Actually, I think you need to think of it differently. When you have multiple drives in a pool and have duplication turned on, you don't know what drive it is on. It is just duplicated. There is no "drives 1 & 2 are duplicated onto 3 & 4". It's just duplicated and it just works. Think simpler, I guess. That said, the general idea that you mentioned are indeed correct.

Regarding the document locations, they've talked about that the last couple podcasts. Personally, I keep the stuff that the laptops need to access on the road on the local machines and everything else on the server.

thanks

sorry , yes, I was only using drive letters to explain that I was pooling 2 drives and having them duplicated to the other 2. I assume I decide which drives I want pooled, ie 1,2 and then by default the other 2 (3,4) are the duplicated contents. Im understand then that I don't know which drives (1 or 2) has the data.

If you needed to read the data from a pooled drive, can you simply pull out one of the drives and read and copy off the data. The data might be on drive 1 or drive 2, I'd have to read the drive when disconnected from the mediasmart (in this case). I assume the full file is on one drive or the other, unlike striping in RAID

I think I almost prefer the method you mentioned, at least that way if you accidentally delete a local file you can restore it before the next backup occurs.

last Q's,

Starting out as I am in the server/htpc scene, should I be still thinking of the ex490/495's as the best current option, wrt VAIL with no DE and the fact that the hp's are discontinued.

If I would be using a htpc/popcorn/WD live around the house then is a ex490 sufficient

My TV is DLNA compliant, so does that mean it takes care of any transcoding that might be needed when pulling content from the server (if no client attacted) or it requires the server to do so.?..again just trying to justify the ex495 vs ex490

thanks

First off, you are correct. The file is either on the drive or not. There is no partial.

Regarding DLNA, i might recommend this read: (http://homeservershow.com/what-is-dlna.html) To answer your direct question, the transcoding is done on the server. If the server doesn't have the ability to transcode, then you are going to need to have the files in a format that the renderer (aka client) can play.