RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HBA for ZFS

pmpa97

Hi everybody! I'm looking for a cheap and reliable PCI Express HBA card for the HP GEN10, cause I'm willing to create a ZFS Pool. It's has to be compatible with the FreeNAS distribution. Thanks in advance

I believe the Marvell SATA controller built in the MS Gen10 works with FreeNAS. I think I would start with it. If you need to switch to an HBA, the LSI based cards tend to be the safest route. $25 will get you something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-RAID-Controller-Card-Half-Bracket-SAS9211-8i/193301383711?epid=1401848784&hash=item2d01a90a1f:g:GXAAAOSw-SVeHwUF

You could get a 4i/4e version if you might be considering adding drives in an external case.

Here is a good list of all versions of LSI HBA:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-raid-controller-and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

Thanks for your answer.

I think I will go for a Dell Perc H200, because they're sold very very cheap on eBay. For me it's not a problem reflashing them following the tutorial. With that model, I can use the original SAS connector from the motherboard and connect it directly to the Dell controller, right? Because I want to continue using the 4 front HDD bay's

Edited by pmpa97

The Dell H200 is similar to a LSI9211 or 9210. All of these use SFF-8087 connectors. The card I linked to above has the connectors on the end of the card. Dell H200 have the connectors facing up which can be an issue with cabling as noted here:

Thanks for the advise. Then I will definitely go for one similar to the one you linked. I need to find a seller who ships to Spain 😅. Most of them are expensier because the're already flashed...

Edited by pmpa97

It has been a longtime since I tested cards, but I think any card added in will cause the fan to go faster and if it is a non-HPE card it is likely to go faster yet.