RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

How to whitelist a website in Microsoft's Edge Browser. #CREDGE #Adblocker #whitelist

Dave

If you frequent a website, say like, homeservershow.com, you can easily add that URL to a whitelist that will re-enable ads and monetization scripts so that site can pay the bills!  I know the ads can be annoying sometimes but a decent website that you frequent shouldn't bombard you with junk.   I underline decent in that sentence because I know most sites do send you garbage.  I do not.  I have just a few ads that in order to pay the bills. 

The one thing I do miss when you have blocking on, is your purchases via this site.  When you have ad blockers running they frequently filter out monetization scripts that we website owners run in order to get a small commission off of your relevant purchases.  

I personally run Ublock Origin in my Chrome browser and have it set to not block when I browse certain sites.  The awesome #CREDGE browser has a default setting that will block ads and scripts.  Here is how to whitelist your favorite sites.

1. In Microsoft Edge click the ... (three dots) located around the top right corner of the browser.

2. On the left side click Privacy and Services.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 1.37.06 PM.png

3. It's here where you can modify your settings.  It comes default to Balanced.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 1.28.44 PM.png

4. Find the "Exceptions" setting in the middle of this page. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 1.38.48 PM.png

5. Click Add a Site and type in the URL.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 1.39.38 PM.png

6.  That's it!

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 1.39.47 PM.png

You can now add your other sites or close this tab and be happy knowing you are supporting the sites you frequent.

If you would rather not go through all that trouble, you can simply buy a T-Shirt!  

Enjoy!

nrf
Posted (edited)

ok, I tried it, no surprise what ad I saw. can you assure us you will not be pulling in any javascript from external sites?

talk about a transparent advertiser, when I clicked the link and went to their site a little box dropped down reminding me whose affiliate link I had used. nice!

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

Trig0r

I've got the Chromium version of Edge, and I run ADBlock plugin, I can see the Stablebit ad at the top and the woot/ebay/bestbuy etc down the right side, guess I dont need to do this...

Dave
9 hours ago, nrf said:

ok, I tried it, no surprise what ad I saw. can you assure us you will not be pulling in any javascript from external sites?

talk about a transparent advertiser, when I clicked the link and went to their site a little box dropped down reminding me whose affiliate link I had used. nice!

Thanks for trying it. I put that ad there because it hides absolutely nothing. There isn't a script or some fancy html to hide things.  Other than that here is what I have in my site:

A couple of Google ads only enabled for visitors/guests that are not logged in.

Google's Analytics script.

Skimlinks script.  This monetizes the Amazon, eBay, and other links.

I also have the RESET artwork that links to reset.fm. Top right corner. I guess technically that is an ad. 

@Trig0r The shopping links top right I don't really consider an ad. I guess it could be though.  Yeah, I guess all that sidebar stuff is an ad! I wrote that little post up for Chromium Edge users when I saw that it was blocking by default. Check your settings and see what you have on.  I'm sure my version is out of date too.  I constantly have a reminder to update it.  

I don't use Taboola or those stacked ads that try to get you to click a photo and some crazy headline. I use nothing fancy or nefarious. That's my opinion though.  

Thanks for whitelisting the site. Every little bit helps as always.  Oh, and BTW, StableBit rocks!

Trig0r

Added to the exceptions as above, doesn't make any difference to me tbh, I trust you not to spam my machine or blow shit up :D