RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boxee Box Review Post at homeservershow.com

Dave

Taken from the review found here.

No doubt you have seen it and read reviews about it. Instead of boring you with the usual review my goal is to setup the Boxee Box and test it with Windows Home Server. Pretty Simple. What you will see here is a whole lot of un-professional photos of the actual screens and not a whole lot of stock photo screens. Let’s get busy.

Quick and Dirty History of Boxee Box

First there was software. You can make your own Boxee Box with free software and a free iOS app for a remote.

Next came the Box. At first it was going to be based on the NVIDIA Tegra 2 chip but it had issues with HD playback.

Boxee Box hit the shelves November 10th, 2010 with the Intel Atom chipset. Two weeks later it got it’s first update. And another, and so on. A huge update landed January 19th. It’s the reason for the delay of this article.

An iPad app is also due out for it soon. It will allow you to stream content to the iPad which sounds pretty cool.

Here is what you get.

* Double-sided remote control

* HDMI out (HDCP, cable included)

* Ethernet Port

* 802.11n Wireless

* 2 USB 2.0 ports

* Optical Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

* Composite Audio Connectors

* AC Power Connector

Read the rest here.

If you have questions, comments, or thoughts on this review or the Boxee Box post them here!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• JediTim

• fredload

Sounds like a pretty good companion device. How's the fell of the UI? Most streamers are pretty pitiful, but the screenshots made it look pretty passable.

FYI Dave - the link you posted is to edit the post, so I get a login page when I click it.

I fixed it...thanks for pointing out the problem.

So this sounds like just what I have been waiting for, local content including Blu-Ray, Pandora, Netflix, Vudu (Hulu??). Whats the downside other than price? I am waiting for the device that is good enough and cheap enough to buy once for each TV in the house. This sounds like to closest one yet.

I thought it did pretty good with local content. I wasn't that impressed with its handling of recorded TV but at least it played it. Blu-Rays looked great and Netflix and Hulu are supposed to be on the way. The other downside I didn't mention is that it might not physically fit into a lot of setups. I had no room for it in my TV cabinet although it honestly could be hidden behind the TV. The remote is RF. It does look kinda cool if you have a spot for it though.

Boxee Box Netflix update: Boxee Blog

We’re in a bit of an awkward spot at the moment.

The Netflix app is up and running on Boxee (we watched the intro to Full Metal Jacket earlier today), but we have not yet satisfied Netflix’s security requirements. We anticipate availability soon. It’s terrible to be so close to releasing and yet still be waiting on one thing to fall into place.

There’s not a day that goes by without dozens of emails, comments, tweets, asking about Netflix. We all want it. We hear you in every medium (even audience cries at the Crunchies) that you tell us you want it and we’re doing everything we know to do to make this happen as quickly as possible

Thanks. Who has a Roku to compare it to? I like that box except it can't do local content unless it's on a USB drive.

I thought it did pretty good with local content. I wasn't that impressed with its handling of recorded TV but at least it played it. Blu-Rays looked great and Netflix and Hulu are supposed to be on the way. The other downside I didn't mention is that it might not physically fit into a lot of setups. I had no room for it in my TV cabinet although it honestly could be hidden behind the TV. The remote is RF. It does look kinda cool if you have a spot for it though.

Would this be the solution I am looking for with watching movies from my WHS and MyMovies. I have several hundred movies (DVD / BluRay / HD-DVD) stored on my WHS that I would like to stream to the TV in my bedroom and my sons bedroom. I currently have a HTPC I built for the Family Room and don't want the expense of building another one. I don't really stream content from NetFlix or have a need to record TV as all TV's currently have Tivo.

Is the streaming of movie content through MyMovies good. Is this what I want?

Tim