RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DriveScanner does not show SMART or HD ser. no.

TomP

My Gen 8 is running Windows 10 and Stablebit DriveScanner is not showing SMART details or the serial number of any drives.

I do get messages saying that there is a new update for DS but I clock to apply the update and nothing seems to happen.

Advice would be most welcome

Are you using the B120i or AHCI for disk control?

Using any RAID controller will keep Stablebit from seeing the SMART info of the drives.

3 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Are you using the B120i or AHCI for disk control?

Using any RAID controller will keep Stablebit from seeing the SMART info of the drives.

Thanks.

I thought I had to use the B120i to initialise the hard drives as that is how the drives are connected and that seemed to be the advice on this forum. I am using W10 so could I switch to AHCI and still retain the drive data? and how would I achieve this? or and/do I need to have a different controller to do this?

20 hours ago, nrf said:

contact the vendor? they are usually quite responsive..

I had made contact with Chris a week or so ago, but no reply yet. Thus my post here. It looks like schoondoggy may have pointed to the solution.

Hi schoondoggy,

I should have said that I'm just using the B120i to initialise individual drives to RAID as advised on this forum.

I do not have a RAI array, instead I use DrivePool / DriveScanner. Don't know if this makes any difference.

Thanks

If you are not running RAID you do not need to run the B120i.

Although, if you are booting off the ODD SATA port, then you do need to run B120i.

1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

If you are not running RAID you do not need to run the B120i.

Although, if you are booting off the ODD SATA port, then you do need to run B120i.

...so how can I remove the B120i from the equation and if so, how do I transfer the existing HDs to (is it) AHCI? or do i need another controller? and can I still keep the data.

Also I'm fairly sure I set up the SSD from the B120i as RAID 0 so does this matter? There were many posts here and on WeGotServed, plus advice from StableBit, that said this is what I had to do to get the HDs recognised

Thanks again

Edited by TomP
forgot to include something

17 minutes ago, TomP said:

...so how can I remove the B120i from the equation and if so, how do I transfer the existing HDs to (is it) AHCI? or do i need another controller? and can I still keep the data.

Also I'm fairly sure I set up the SSD from the B120i as RAID 0 so does this matter? There were many posts here and on WeGotServed, plus advice from StableBit, that said this is what I had to do to get the HDs recognised

Thanks again

I answered that here: