RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Stuttering on streamed video

Alex

I am having odd issues with streaming video from my WHS to my Media Centre.

When using Media Centre video regularly stutters when streamed over the network - same issue if I try and play in Windows Media Player.

I can stream video to my Xbox 360 with no issues

Bizarrely I also have no issues if run the xbox as a media extender via the problem Media Centre.

If I copy the file to the Media Centre and play it locally then there are no issues.

Similarly I have no issues with any other pc's on the network - all seem to stream media without stutter.

All machines connected via gigabit switch and Cat6 cable

WHS Spec (v1)

Intel e5300 @2.6GHz

4Gb RAM

5 drives (37% free)

7MC Spec

Intel Core i3

4Gb RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate

All drivers fully up to date.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is driving me mad.

Change the cable?

I'll try but can't believe that would be the issue - if it were surely the xbox in extender mode would show the same symptons?

Cheers

A

IIRC, the extender will play directly from the source, which in this case would be the server. The data will transfer straight from the WHS to the xbox. This is similar to how DLNA works with the WHS being the Digital Media Server and the xbox being the DM Renderer.

I'd also pull up Task Manager and observe the processes while streaming. And hope for something obvious such as Microsoft Security Essentials going haywire.

What drives do you have in your WHS?

I had same problem with WD Green drives with the 4K clusters when they weren't jumpered properly for WHS.

What drives do you have in your WHS?

I had same problem with WD Green drives with the 4K clusters when they weren't jumpered properly for WHS.

I have mostly WD Green drives in my system! What do you mean when you talk about having the drives properly jumpered? I saw a post today on mentioning the drives need to be set to jump 7/8. Is this what you were talking about? This maybe an issue I'm having as well.

If they are drives with the model number that ends in EADS drives then you are fine. If they are EARS then they need to be jumpered.

If they are drives with the model number that ends in EADS drives then you are fine. If they are EARS then they need to be jumpered.

I will check but I believe I am using AVGP drives. Guess I should ask...which Green drive should I use for my next build? I had planned on getting an additional 3 AVGP drives from Newegg.

Tim