RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
setnet86437

I want to add router to isp modem for lan

setnet86437

hello,

I got this modem router from isp.

but

I want to add another router so only my router will assign dhcp for my lan devices

It will look like this:

isp home modem router -> my modem that will have dhcp server -> switch -> my lan devices

question nr.1:

if I disable dhcp on isp home modem I just disable it

or

I just disable it and ALSO set static ip to it ?

question nr.2:

will this work:

isp modem router with static ip 192.168.1.1 with dhcp off -> my modem with dhcp on ->switch -> my lan devices

I dont want isp moder router to assign and see ip adresses on my lan.

question nr.3,4:

what ip do I set on MY router?

gateway should be 192.168.1.1 for internet to work right is there anything else to set?

question nr. 5:

what ip range should I set on my router with dhcp on? something like this?

192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254

Thanks a lot!

Al_Borges

Can I offer two thoughts

Would be simpler and perhaps cheaper to just use your own modem rather than renting from your ISP. You can buy your own modem, rather than renting

Why are you doing this? You cant hide your IP Address from your ISP. Are you really needing a VPN ?

setnet86437

hi my isp dont allow custom devices so I am forced to use their modem router.

btw tried to connect my router and disableb dhcp on theirs dhcp was working but no internet access well there was some but firefox said this connection is not secure bla bla on every single www page.

I set dns to ip of isp router on my router  because there is already dns set on their router.

thinking about trying to set dns on my router instead of using isp router ip as dns on my router

maybe that was mistake with connection not secure bla bla error in firefox?

Edited by setnet86437

setnet86437
19 minutes ago, Al_Borges said:

Why are you doing this? You cant hide your IP Address from your ISP. Are you really needing a VPN ?

I dont want my lan ips to be visible on isp router at all.

so I want to just use ips router as gateway to access internet with my router doing the dhcp for devices on my lan.

nrf

since you can get into the ISP modem/router, does it perhaps have a bridge mode? if so you can turn that on and just set up your router as your 'main router' with dhcp that gives the lan clients DNS assignments of your choosing.

if you can't set it in bridge mode, and you really want to keep the details of your lan hidden from the ISP, you can do double - nat -

let the modem/router assign your router an IP like 192.168.0.5 and then your router would set the lan up to a different subnet like 192.168.1.x, whatever doesn't conflict.

given recent revelations of backdoors in ISP modems I can see why some distrust would be appropriate. in both of the configurations I mention your router's WAN port would get an address via DHCP and provide all services to the lan thru dhcp but to avoid confusion the wan segment and lan segment need to be distinct.

an in-between solution where you tell the isp router not to do dhcp is fairly tricky to work through. I"d suggest one of the two above.

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

setnet86437

I am just home user and no expert but here are some screenshots from my router If you are able to help with what to fill in those boxes that would be BIG help for me maybe we can work this out?

isp router modem have ip 192.168.1.1 and dhcp on it wont let me use bridge mode

my router is zyxel sbg3300 and here is how it looks under lan config I have cleared the fill in boxes

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by setnet86437

nrf

ok so presumably the ISP modem/router will give your router an ip like 192.168.1.10.

for the lan side you have many choices, for example...

LAN port 10.0.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

assign lan devices a range from 10.0.1.50 thru 10.0.1.150

note this is but one of many you can use, just an example but should work. everyone has their favorites. If you have way more devices

the 10. range lets you open up an even wider space but again, this is but an example.

many people prefer to avoid 192.168.x.x just to be uncommon from the 'typical' ranges.

• Like 1

setnet86437
2 hours ago, nrf said:

ok so presumably the ISP modem/router will give your router an ip like 192.168.1.10.

for the lan side you have many choices, for example...

LAN port 10.0.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

assign lan devices a range from 10.0.1.50 thru 10.0.1.150

Thanks for the reply

Just to be sure:

10.0.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 goes into here right:

2.jpg

and I just leave those two fields LAN IP SETUP empty here and just fill out the range:

1.jpg

Edited by setnet86437

nrf

they go in the section titled 'lan ip setup'. the alias IP is an advanced setting you should not need.

these settings will still work even if you get bridge mode set up on the wan side (link above).

the range for dhcp goes further down in 'ip addressing values' section

did the router come with a set of defaults initially? given the newness of this topic for you I am thinking if you can get bridge mode established a factory reset of YOUR router might give good values for pretty much everything or at least a start.

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1