RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus

Server-Doh

I am trying to migrate from microserver Gen8 to Gen10 plus. So I take my normal functioning HP SAS 9217 4e4i card (IT mode) out from Gen8 and expecting it’ll work with gen10 plus. However, unlike Gen8, I just cannot see any POST message of the card when I boot the Gen10 plus. Also tried to boot in legacy mode but still can’t get it works. It is just shown as unknown pcie card. 

I want to use this card to passthrough the disks to a freenas VM at ESXi. Any advice, pls? Thx.

Btw, the card doesn’t fit gen9.

B28D29E0-10F9-4604-9CAA-7C80B14AA301.jpeg

Server-Doh
Posted (edited)

As Gen10 plus doesn’t have an ODB port for SSD (my Gen8’s ESXi datastore) and I happen to have a Qnap QM2-2P10G1T card with two ADATA SX8000 on it, so I decide to give it a try (after reading STH’s review). Unfortunately, Gen10 plus doesn’t boot at all (software NMI detected).

I end up using Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD with the USB 3.1 port as the vmfs datastore instead. So far, I have no luck with Gen10 plus’s pcie slot! None of my normal functioning cards work on it! Am I getting a defective one ?

2E5811D6-CB41-4671-BE73-145DE3E996DA.jpeg

0270D7E3-2E02-4D8B-80DB-DDF9B8BBA1D2.jpeg

1B81D602-82C8-4C5B-BBDB-D0215E3C5FB1.jpeg

Edited by Server-Doh

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, Server-Doh said:

I am trying to migrate from microserver Gen8 to Gen10 plus. So I take my normal functioning HP SAS 9217 4e4i card (IT mode) out from Gen8 and expecting it’ll work with gen10 plus. However, unlike Gen8, I just cannot see any POST message of the card when I boot the Gen10 plus. Also tried to boot in legacy mode but still can’t get it works. It is just shown as unknown pcie card. 

I want to use this card to passthrough the disks to a freenas VM at ESXi. Any advice, pls? Thx.

Btw, the card doesn’t fit gen9.

B28D29E0-10F9-4604-9CAA-7C80B14AA301.jpeg

I hate to ask, but it looks like the card is not aligned properly, have you tried aligning it to the back panel and seating it?

• Thanks 1

Server-Doh
51 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

I hate to ask, but it looks like the card is not aligned properly, have you tried aligning it to the back panel and seating it?

Oh, so stupid! The card is not aligned! I should get a low profile bracket. 
It works now. Thx you, schoondoggy!

A4FA6340-1CFC-471E-9C4E-45D5CC8F6BCE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, Server-Doh said:

Oh, so stupid! The card is not aligned! I should get a low profile bracket. 
It works now. Thx you, schoondoggy!

A4FA6340-1CFC-471E-9C4E-45D5CC8F6BCE.jpeg

The only reason I thought to check, is of course I have done the same thing with a network card with no bracket!

Juggy
On 5/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, Server-Doh said:

As Gen10 plus doesn’t have an ODB port for SSD (my Gen8’s ESXi datastore) and I happen to have a Qnap QM2-2P10G1T card with two ADATA SX8000 on it, so I decide to give it a try (after reading STH’s review). Unfortunately, Gen10 plus doesn’t boot at all (software NMI detected).

I end up using Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD with the USB 3.1 port as the vmfs datastore instead. So far, I have no luck with Gen10 plus’s pcie slot! None of my normal functioning cards work on it! Am I getting a defective one ?

2E5811D6-CB41-4671-BE73-145DE3E996DA.jpeg

0270D7E3-2E02-4D8B-80DB-DDF9B8BBA1D2.jpeg

1B81D602-82C8-4C5B-BBDB-D0215E3C5FB1.jpeg

That is quite strange, I installed the following card with a Samsung PM981 NVMe SSD and it detected it, installed Server 2019 and all was good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKW3Y73/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jason

Am intrigued by this Gen 10+. Considered one for a WSE rebuild until I realized it doesn’t support Intel Quicksync which my core i5 Ivy Bridge does. That would be a step back unfortunately. Disappointed.

Noth
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Am intrigued by this Gen 10+. Considered one for a WSE rebuild until I realized it doesn’t support Intel Quicksync which my core i5 Ivy Bridge does. That would be a step back unfortunately. Disappointed.

You could buy the cheaper Pentium version and swap out the CPU for one with QuickSync perhaps?