RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus

TomP

UK supplier is now showing stock of 3 models with the G5420 version only £449...

https://www.box.co.uk/products/keywords/microserver+gen+10+plus/ex/true

...the other models are much more expensive with strangely the Xeon E2224 model with a 1TB disk being cheaper that the one without !!

Here's hoping that there will be deals including HPE cashbacks on Gen 10 or Gen 10 Plus to bring them down to a more affordable level.

It would also be great when benchmarks appear to compare all the generations, like they have when earlier Gens were introduced.

Trig0r

Looking at the two model's I'd be tempted to get the cheaper one and then upgrade, the E2224 doesn't look that great on paper, 4c/4t, and £250 for a better CPU, 16Gb over 8 and a 1Tb HDD..

Be interesting to see what the guys from STH come up with when they do their big CPU test and see what else can be fitted and then go from there.

GarethC
Posted (edited)

Agreed, waiting with anticipation of what CPU upgrades can be done. The E3-1230v2s in my Gen8s are pretty damn impressive and can handle a hell of a lot, the 16GB memory is the restriction. 

Edited by GarethC

brentpresley

Question for anyone that might know - will this server allow Plex to access quick sync on the CPU?

I use a microserver Gen 8 for home Plex video, and the major drawback even after pushing the CPU up is transcoding.  Because the Gen8 has a stupid Matrox GPU soldered to the motherboard, even if I install a CPU with onboard graphics, I cannot access quick sync for video transcoding.

GarethC

Looks like buying the base model, a E-2246G and 64GB is the way to go. 

schoondoggy
On 4/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, brentpresley said:

Question for anyone that might know - will this server allow Plex to access quick sync on the CPU?

I use a microserver Gen 8 for home Plex video, and the major drawback even after pushing the CPU up is transcoding.  Because the Gen8 has a stupid Matrox GPU soldered to the motherboard, even if I install a CPU with onboard graphics, I cannot access quick sync for video transcoding.

Cant say for sure, but the graphic driver for MS Gen10 Plus is Matrox G200eH. So I have to assume that is what is still embedded in the iLo5 chip. Much like the MS Gen8 I assume the CPU GPU is not useable.

brentpresley
9 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Cant say for sure, but the graphic driver for MS Gen10 Plus is Matrox G200eH. So I have to assume that is what is still embedded in the iLo5 chip. Much like the MS Gen8 I assume the CPU GPU is not useable.

Much appreciated.  Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for a new home Plex Server setup.

TomP
10 minutes ago, brentpresley said:

Much appreciated.  Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for a new home Plex Server setup.

You might be better with one of the QNAP servers with embedded hdmi transcoding which run a QNAP Plex app. I don't use Plex but do play video to my TV

sandwern
Posted (edited)

Hi.

Sorry for English sometimes, i'd like to join this thread, got my microserver gen10 plus some days ago. Searching for used Dell R720 or T-series, but because of small size microserver won the competition for homelab. Thats i found after using it for some days:

Pros:

- Excellent form-factor and design, compact device to use at home;

- Excellent build quality, really strong metal frame;

- Anyone knowns about iLO5, 4-port Intel NIC, fast USB 3.1 Gen 2 external ports;

- Powerful CPU with ability to upgrade to models with HT;

- 64 GB of RAM maximum (based on reviews, want to try in next months);

- With default powersave energy profile pretty silent operation, mostly no problems with this;

- Good and functional bios with many options.

Cons:

- No additional SATA port for ESXi-bootable device, like DOM or SSD (Hey, HP, really, this is in 2020?). Only internal USB 2.0 available, HP offers P21868-B21 to use with this, which is extremely expensive and from my opinion useless at home. Of course it is possible to use microSD + generic card reader, but nobody knows how long this combo will serve;

- Only software RAID out of the box with Windows support, need to go for hardware RAID with ESXi;

- External PSU only 180w, because of upgrades it may be necessary to find something more powerful, maybe even Razer gaming laptops power supply (about 230w);

- During operation PSU turning pretty hot - about 50+ celsius degrees;

- No models shipped with iLO Enablement Kit, need to buy separately. In my country Kit will be available only in 2 months approx.;

- A bit buggy and strange built-in software, after upgrading platform components update utility offers to downgrade versions of internal software, saying updates still available :D

- Expensive. Someone may want to go for Dell T30 or T40 - they are cheaper.

Plans:

- Want to try LSI hw Raid Controller. Reviews about HP E208i-p very different, i heard with early firmware version this controller is buggy. I trust LSI or Adaptec more.

At first, after unboxing i installed SPP from ISO: https://www.hpe.com/servers/spp/download

Overall it will be buggy carousel.

I’m still researching functions of this server, so the review may not be entirely accurate. Thanks!

Edited by sandwern

randman

I use an external USB (Sandisk Ultra Fit) for my bootable ESXi device. Personally, I prefer an external USB than internal, since it's much easier to maintain. If the USB goes bad, or I want to test a different version of ESXi, I can easily put another USB without having to disconnect cables and opening up the server. My USB stick barely sticks out of the port, so it's very secure. Besides, it's at home, so noone will just come by and pull out the USB stick. Just make sure you take a regular ESXi configuration backup or better, script it to do the backup daily. Some folks like cloning their USB stick to another USB stick, but I find that too inconvenient. As long as I have the ESXi configuration backup, removing from the (rare) USB stick going bad should be straightforward. Note that once ESXi has booted up, it resides in memory, so the performance of the boot up device doesn't matter.

You can't just update the power supply. The overall box really isn't handled for more than 180W in terms of cooling, etc.

I got my server, but my iLO Enablement Kit order won't come until mid-June. This is the first HPE server that I've had where I actually had to connect a keyboard and monitor to. Very inconvenient, and I really miss iLO. 

The HPE SPP should only upgrade software that needs upgrading. From my experience, SPP only updates software that needs updating.

I ran the March SPP, and it only found 1 thing to upgrade (the iLO firmware, which doesn't help me at this time since I don't yet have the iLO Enablement kit). 

• Like 1