RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus

schoondoggy
9 minutes ago, Scepticalist said:

UK site has pricing, which is.... crazy.

They;re going to have to do some insane cashback deals to make these attractive at all if they stick to that pricing:

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.models.1012241014.html

Introductory pricing is always high. The design of this server and other interaction I have had recently with HPE, lead me to believe that home media server and home lab server are not the target customers for this server.

• Like 1

PunyEarthling76
1 hour ago, Scepticalist said:

UK site has pricing, which is.... crazy.

They;re going to have to do some insane cashback deals to make these attractive at all if they stick to that pricing:

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.models.1012241014.html

WOW. That’s double the previous one. Well that’s the end of that. 

Scepticalist
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

Introductory pricing is always high. The design of this server and other interaction I have had recently with HPE, lead me to believe that home media server and home lab server are not the target customers for this server.

With respect, they said that of the original Gen10, but it's equally hard to see where the market is for these if you take away the prosumer market. I'd not recommend one for a lab environment at work given the discounts which are easily available on the DL range with built in RAID and iLO. Equally, there are better options for SME/Branch server

Edited by Scepticalist

Noth
40 minutes ago, Scepticalist said:

With respect, they said that of the original Gen10, but it's equally hard to see where the market is for these if you take away the prosumer market. I'd not recommend one for a lab environment at work given the discounts which are easily available on the DL range with built in RAID and iLO. Equally, there are better options for SME/Branch server

I'm seeing that the iLO outboard connector card is about 120USD in Switzerland. Not too expensive but yes it'd be better if it was included at that price. That built in RAID is presumably this barely better than Software RAID isn't it? Not interested in that myself.

As for the BIOS updates, so long as they release the security fixes for free as they did on the Gen8, should be alright. HPE like you to have a license for everything, worse than the British government!

skandal
On 2/22/2020 at 6:36 PM, PunyEarthling76 said:

Video 

Wow, nice marketing video.... 

Less fan noise, well how did you know that smart pants (the guy on the video)... I wonder how much noise that 80mm fan will produce once the CPU starts doing something.

17 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

The previous Gen10 was cheaper when it was released.

I guess it makes sense for a non tech savvy company to buy this... but then again, if your are not tech savvy you can also buy a QNAP or a Synology.

For a homelab this is just crap. For that amount of money you can build something way better and be as compact.

brewmonkey
On 2/18/2020 at 5:18 PM, schoondoggy said:

You will be able to install that BIOS.

Normally, BIOS updates are only available if you have a warranty or service contract. The latest BIOS is available without a warranty or service contract because it has patches for Intel CPU security bugs. All other drivers and firmware are free to download.

Thanks for that great distinction.

A few years ago I was told by an HP rep that a contract was required for BIOS updates. I was incensed by that at the time and vowed to never support HP as a customer again until that condition was acknowledged by HP as a *!$%-move and reversed. Recently I checked and saw that new(er) BIOS available for my Gen8 and thought "cool they gave in!" Now based on your comment (and the fact that indeed no other BIOS versions are in that list) I see I made an over-generous bad assumption and that HP are indeed still super rats withholding BIOS updates for hardware we have purchased behind support contracts. IMHO that's a short hop away from bait-and-switch and while I rarely think (even more) legislation is the answer to most problems, I think I'd support a law that prohibits shenanigans like that.

That makes me extra glad I'm just wrapping up a new Asrock Rack-based build with IPMI and BIOS updates included in the hardware I bought (imagine!).

/endrant

dhirenmehta

I remember seeing on one of the reviews that the bays are limited to 4TB drives ... Will be good to see if anyone gets a unit and can check if it'll accept larger so I can move the 12TB drives from my Gen 8 to the newer model....

Trig0r

I imagine its a case of what they are certified for, rather than the max they can actually take, its not like they have the time to test every single drive and certify all of them..

• Like 1

GarethC
Posted (edited)

Looks good to me technically, shame it looks a bit like a toaster, i just wonder if the Xeon version is worth replacing my two Gen8 E3-1230v2s for. I’ll be very interested to see if there are any viable CPU upgrades available. Its also a shame its not gone back to 2 x PCIe slots inclusive of iLO as i need more than 4 NICs as well as full iLO. 

Edited by GarethC