RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus

schoondoggy

Nice. Probably won't upgrade straight away as I'm happy with my Gen 8 with Xeon, but it is nice to know there's an upgrade out there. I tuned out after they dropped iLO from the Gen10. It's one of my favourite features of the Gen8 and something that isn't easy to replicate with a homemade server. 

I'm a little disappointed there are only 4 drive bays, 6 would be awesome, but maybe with the reduced space there's room to stack some more. 

I have a feeling I'll resist this until I see it on sale at some point...

10 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

You will be able to install that BIOS...The latest BIOS is available without a warranty or service contract because it has patches for Intel CPU security bugs. All other drivers and firmware are free to download.

Many thanks !!

On 2/7/2020 at 2:45 PM, Noth said:

So looking at processor options here, there's a couple of nice 8 core 16 thread parts (E-2278G 3.4GHz 80W TDP, E-2288G 3.7GHz 95W TDP) that might make a very nice upgrade, for about 2.5-3x the cost of the E-2224. I'm just wondering if the cooling would manage (the E-2224 is 71W TDP, so fairly close) and if these GPU equipped parts work in a box like this (can never remember if they're compatible or not)? It would justify getting the Pentium model and then upgrading.

Don't believe Intel TDP numbers. Those 8 core Xeons will pull a lot more than 80-95w. Since the PSU is external I can image that upgrading it would be near impossible.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:01 PM, schoondoggy said:

iLo 5 chip is on the system board. The enablement kit is for remote access.

Still didn't understand what they mean by iLo remote access...

On 2/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, lionelhutz said:

I'm a little disappointed there are only 4 drive bays, 6 would be awesome, but maybe with the reduced space there's room to stack some more. 

The problem I see is that you don't have space left for 2.5" boot devices.

I currently have 6 SSDs in my Gen8, with this I would lose them.

Edited by skandal

They have tried to make the server as densely packed as possible.

I would have thought they would have offered some M.2 NVMe or SATA boot device on the system board.

Just now, schoondoggy said:

They have tried to make the server as densely packed as possible.

But putting the PSU external is cheating, because it will occupy space :P

Also, they could have added 2 more bays and still maintain a reduce space compared with the previous model.

I don't think HP will get my custom this time unless pricing is VERY competitive. The Gen10 although adequate has not really been an enjoyable experience and the way they cut off BIOS updates after one year of ownership unless you buy extended support is plainly ridiculous.

I never thought I'd say it, but the QNAP NAS are starting to look like an attractive option by comparison.

Edited by Scepticalist