Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus


schoondoggy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Glad i popped back in now and saw this.

This looks interesting, however i've been very happy with my G8-1265lv2 i'm wondering if it will be worth the "upgrade".

 

Also, i thought with the later Intel range, the Xeon chipsets needed a different PCH than the I/Pentium/Celeron range... but HPE's website shows this available in Xeon and Pentium.... anyone have info on this?

 

Happy to see that higher TDP processors are supported so heatsink/cooling must be greater.

Edited by fury
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

That will all depend on when the MS Gen10 Plus is ready to ship and how much inventory they have left on MS Gen10.

It looks like they may already be short of stock on the x3421 model. The x3418 model is relatively cheap at $281, with some supply. The x3216 seem to have quite good stock, but the price is $250. Purely speculating, but if there is a sellout on MS Gen10 it will likely be the x3216 model.

Which Gen9 server do you have?

 

I have the Celeron 1610T model running Windows 10 Pro, but just found a Xeon E3-1220L v2 CPU at a good EBay price shipped in the UK, so I plan to update that server. Have you advice on the procedure to change CPUs ?

 

I plan to retire my N40L WHS2011 server with the Gen 10 x3418 running Windows Server 2016 Essentials (found cheap copy of that too) so any advice on installing / configuring that would be also welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomP said:

 

I have the Celeron 1610T model running Windows 10 Pro, but just found a Xeon E3-1220L v2 CPU at a good EBay price shipped in the UK, so I plan to update that server. Have you advice on the procedure to change CPUs ?

 

I plan to retire my N40L WHS2011 server with the Gen 10 x3418 running Windows Server 2016 Essentials (found cheap copy of that too) so any advice on installing / configuring that would be also welcome.

That would be a MS Gen8. Nothing too difficult in changing CPU. Clean off the old thermal paste and apply a very thin coat of new paste. Tighten the heatsink screws down evenly. It is a good idea to be sure you are running the latest BIOS before the swap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, fury said:

Glad i popped back in now and saw this.

This looks interesting, however i've been very happy with my G8-1265lv2 i'm wondering if it will be worth the "upgrade".

 

Also, i thought with the later Intel range, the Xeon chipsets needed a different PCH than the I/Pentium/Celeron range... but HPE's website shows this available in Xeon and Pentium.... anyone have info on this?

 

Happy to see that higher TDP processors are supported so heatsink/cooling must be greater.

 

Depends on your usage case, but the boost to 32Gb of RAM makes it worthwhile in my view, if you're running VMs. 4 core Xeon won't hurt either (E3-1265v2 users won't see so much of a difference I guess).

 

It's not clear to me yet if a RAID card (are you using one in your Gen8?) is usuable in this small size case, but it should fit snugly in there. HPE aren't offering any cards in the options nor is one mentioned in the docs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Noth said:

 

Depends on your usage case, but the boost to 32Gb of RAM makes it worthwhile in my view, if you're running VMs. 4 core Xeon won't hurt either (E3-1265v2 users won't see so much of a difference I guess).

 

It's not clear to me yet if a RAID card (are you using one in your Gen8?) is usuable in this small size case, but it should fit snugly in there. HPE aren't offering any cards in the options nor is one mentioned in the docs. 

The slot is PCIe Gen3 low-profile slot (PCIe x16)

HPE references the E208i-p SR for the MS Gen10 Plus, under the Storage section:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=a00073554enw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

That would be a MS Gen8. Nothing too difficult in changing CPU. Clean off the old thermal paste and apply a very thin coat of new paste. Tighten the heatsink screws down evenly. It is a good idea to be sure you are running the latest BIOS before the swap.

 

Thanks. I do not have ILO and am out of warranty, so I thought I could not get updates, so how would I get the latest BIOS - and driver sof course?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TomP said:

 

Thanks. I do not have ILO and am out of warranty, so I thought I could not get updates, so how would I get the latest BIOS - and driver sof course?

 

Latest BIOS here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_e9bfdf20809a426cb16ef9cd81

 

Drivers at the same site, not that changing the CPU requires a new driver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TomP said:

 

Thanks. I do not have ILO and am out of warranty, so I thought I could not get updates, so how would I get the latest BIOS - and driver sof course?

BIOS is the only item that requires a warranty or service contract to download. The latest BIOS is available to everyone as it has patches for CPU security flaws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

BIOS is the only item that requires a warranty or service contract to download. The latest BIOS is available to everyone as it has patches for CPU security flaws. 

 

I managed to download from the link kindly provided by Noth, so did you mean to sayBIOS is the only item that does NOT need warranty or service contract? or does it mean I will not be able to install what I downloaded ? Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TomP said:

 

I managed to download from the link kindly provided by Noth, so did you mean to sayBIOS is the only item that does NOT need warranty or service contract? or does it mean I will not be able to install what I downloaded ? Thanks

You will be able to install that BIOS.

Normally, BIOS updates are only available if you have a warranty or service contract. The latest BIOS is available without a warranty or service contract because it has patches for Intel CPU security bugs. All other drivers and firmware are free to download.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...