RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus

schoondoggy

Looks like we need another Microserver category.

Back to Intel CPU, four 1GbE ports, iLO5 (optional?)

Very compact design:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus.1012241014.html

remote iLo needs a kit:

On System Management Chipset

HPE iLO 5 ASIC

NOTE:

MicroServer Gen10 Plus does not support remote management/ out-of-band management by default. The MicroServer Gen10 Plus iLO Enablement Kit (P13788-B21) must be installed to activate remote management. Without the iLO Enablement Kit, the server only supports in-band management features.

The iLO Enablement Kit supports below features:

1) It acts as an activation key for server remote management

2) An iLO dedicated NIC port comes with the kit

3) The iLO 5 Essentials (3yr support) is implicitly licensed. Essentials features are activated upon installing the enablement kit:

- Email-Based Alerting

- Integrated Remote Console (IRC/Virtual KVM – Supports text and graphics)

- Virtual Media via Integrated Remote Console

JackoUK

Like:

- the reduced size

- the 4 network ports.

Now if there had been a version with 8 disk bays ...

Noth

Oh look HPE noticed their product wasn't up to scratch for server duties! Looks like they're fixing everything with this release, Xeon support for proper virtualisation performance (although there's no Hyper Threading on this CPU (which isn't recommended for security reasons  anyway https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191036/intel-xeon-e-2224-processor-8m-cache-3-40-ghz.html  ), 32 Gigs of DDR4 ram, and iLO of course. This could be a very decent homelab server although price has yet to be announced. I do wonder about heat and noise of fully expanded configuration though (the Xeon is a 71W part). In Europe it's quote only, no pricing as of yet.

iLO appears to be a card that doesn't take up the PCI-E slot so you could probably shoehorn a RAID card in there ( https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/options/cables-cable-kits/server-enablement-kits/server-enablement-kits/hpe-enablement-kits/hpe-microserver-gen10-plus-ilo-enablement-kit/p/P13788-B21 ).  4 LAN ports is great too, 

All in all a very decent microserver!

Trig0r

Hmmm, could be interesting, I could do with reducing size since HP let me down with the Gen9/10's...

nrf

ultra micro tower ?

I scratched HP off my list after they started requiring service contracts for bios and firmware updates after the warranty period.

Noth
1 hour ago, nrf said:

ultra micro tower ?

I scratched HP off my list after they started requiring service contracts for bios and firmware updates after the warranty period.

I was able to access the lastest bios and iLO firmware for the Gen8 MicroServer without a contract... Dunno for better tier gear though.

So looking at processor options here, there's a couple of nice 8 core 16 thread parts (E-2278G 3.4GHz 80W TDP, E-2288G 3.7GHz 95W TDP) that might make a very nice upgrade, for about 2.5-3x the cost of the E-2224. I'm just wondering if the cooling would manage (the E-2224 is 71W TDP, so fairly close) and if these GPU equipped parts work in a box like this (can never remember if they're compatible or not)? It would justify getting the Pentium model and then upgrading.

schoondoggy
4 hours ago, Noth said:

Oh look HPE noticed their product wasn't up to scratch for server duties! Looks like they're fixing everything with this release, Xeon support for proper virtualisation performance (although there's no Hyper Threading on this CPU (which isn't recommended for security reasons  anyway https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191036/intel-xeon-e-2224-processor-8m-cache-3-40-ghz.html  ), 32 Gigs of DDR4 ram, and iLO of course. This could be a very decent homelab server although price has yet to be announced. I do wonder about heat and noise of fully expanded configuration though (the Xeon is a 71W part). In Europe it's quote only, no pricing as of yet.

iLO appears to be a card that doesn't take up the PCI-E slot so you could probably shoehorn a RAID card in there ( https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/options/cables-cable-kits/server-enablement-kits/server-enablement-kits/hpe-enablement-kits/hpe-microserver-gen10-plus-ilo-enablement-kit/p/P13788-B21 ).  4 LAN ports is great too, 

All in all a very decent microserver!

iLo 5 chip is on the system board. The enablement kit is for remote access.

TomP
On 2/3/2020 at 10:18 PM, schoondoggy said:

Looks like we need another Microserver category.

Back to Intel CPU, four 1GbE ports, iLO5 (optional?)

Very compact design:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus.1012241014.html

remote iLo needs a kit:

On System Management Chipset

HPE iLO 5 ASIC

NOTE:

MicroServer Gen10 Plus does not support remote management/ out-of-band management by default. The MicroServer Gen10 Plus iLO Enablement Kit (P13788-B21) must be installed to activate remote management. Without the iLO Enablement Kit, the server only supports in-band management features.

The iLO Enablement Kit supports below features:

1) It acts as an activation key for server remote management

2) An iLO dedicated NIC port comes with the kit

3) The iLO 5 Essentials (3yr support) is implicitly licensed. Essentials features are activated upon installing the enablement kit:

- Email-Based Alerting

- Integrated Remote Console (IRC/Virtual KVM – Supports text and graphics)

- Virtual Media via Integrated Remote Console

Does this mean that prices of gen 10 will drop soon possibly with a cashback to encourage clearance of old stock? and how soon might that happen.

This is how I bought my N40L and gen 9 and I hope this will happen again

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, TomP said:

Does this mean that prices of gen 10 will drop soon possibly with a cashback to encourage clearance of old stock? and how soon might that happen.

This is how I bought my N40L and gen 9 and I hope this will happen again

That will all depend on when the MS Gen10 Plus is ready to ship and how much inventory they have left on MS Gen10.

It looks like they may already be short of stock on the x3421 model. The x3418 model is relatively cheap at $281, with some supply. The x3216 seem to have quite good stock, but the price is $250. Purely speculating, but if there is a sellout on MS Gen10 it will likely be the x3216 model.

Which Gen9 server do you have?