Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P420 question


Rob K
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've just bought a Smart array P420 from ebay for my ML10 v2.  Do I need to get any additional cables to connect my drives?  They are normal SATA drives in the standard non-hotswap drive cage.  I asked the vendor and he said "It comes with SAS backplane cables. Not suitable connecting to SATA drives". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SAS is backwards compatible with SATA. HPE uses SFF-8087 cables on the majority of their backplanes. It should just require moving the SFF-8087 cable from the system board to the P420. You should update the P420 to its latest firmware before using it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I was hoping it would be the case that I could just move the connector.  I think I got a bargain at £25 with 2GB cache and the battery.  If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known it was an option 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, schoondoggy said:

SAS is backwards compatible with SATA. HPE uses SFF-8087 cables on the majority of their backplanes. It should just require moving the SFF-8087 cable from the system board to the P420. You should update the P420 to its latest firmware before using it.

Hi Schoondoggy,

As a novice Microserver Gen8 user, I am finding your posts very helopful. Thanks a lot!!

I am going to pick up a P420 w/ 1GB FBWC that I bought for 30 Euro (34 USD) for my Microserver Gen8.

My plan is to move my 4x 2TB WD Red from the B120 to the P420 and use the B120 for an Samsung EVO 1TB that I bought.

You mention that you need to update the P420 to its lates firmware.

What is the best way to do this? I am currently running Proxmox v6 from the 4x 2TB that are in ZFS.
Is there a tool that I can boot from (USB) for updating the FW?

Anything else I need to take into account in reconfiguring my MS Gen8?

I am rebuilding everything, so data/OS may be lost.

 

Looking forward to your expert opinion.

 

Maurice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MauriceGee said:

Hi Schoondoggy,

As a novice Microserver Gen8 user, I am finding your posts very helopful. Thanks a lot!!

I am going to pick up a P420 w/ 1GB FBWC that I bought for 30 Euro (34 USD) for my Microserver Gen8.

My plan is to move my 4x 2TB WD Red from the B120 to the P420 and use the B120 for an Samsung EVO 1TB that I bought.

You mention that you need to update the P420 to its lates firmware.

What is the best way to do this? I am currently running Proxmox v6 from the 4x 2TB that are in ZFS.
Is there a tool that I can boot from (USB) for updating the FW?

Anything else I need to take into account in reconfiguring my MS Gen8?

I am rebuilding everything, so data/OS may be lost.

 

Looking forward to your expert opinion.

 

Maurice

I have not used it recently, but I think the offline SSA tool has the ability to upgrade firmware. You could boot the offline SSA from USB prior to Proxmox booting:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_40057c5bb50b4197af4afdf478#tab1

Having the server at the latest BIOS and firmware would be important as well.

If you do want to migrate drives from the B120i that is covered in this guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03326739 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2020 at 10:22 PM, schoondoggy said:

I have not used it recently, but I think the offline SSA tool has the ability to upgrade firmware. You could boot the offline SSA from USB prior to Proxmox booting:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_40057c5bb50b4197af4afdf478#tab1

Having the server at the latest BIOS and firmware would be important as well.

If you do want to migrate drives from the B120i that is covered in this guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03326739 

Thanks for your guidance.

I installed the P420 and connected the disks to it.

Current FW is at 6.68 and I found that the latest is 8.32

Unfortunately I cannot find an option to upgrade the FW in the Offline SSA (see picture). Am I missing something?
Are there any other ways to upgrade the FW? Currently the server is bare metal, so no OS to boot from.

I would prefer a SPP in order to do a full upgrade of all server FW, but these are no longer downloadable from the HPE website.

image.thumb.png.668f9ca48a4c6fc250e43c8ca174ba05.pngimage.png.cbb800e58f52622917a2722114a74fcc.png

Edited by MauriceGee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MauriceGee said:

Thanks for your guidance.

I installed the P420 and connected the disks to it.

Current FW is at 6.68 and I found that the latest is 8.32

Unfortunately I cannot find an option to upgrade the FW in the Offline SSA (see picture). Am I missing something?
Are there any other ways to upgrade the FW? Currently the server is bare metal, so no OS to boot from.

I would prefer a SPP in order to do a full upgrade of all server FW, but these are no longer downloadable from the HPE website.

image.thumb.png.668f9ca48a4c6fc250e43c8ca174ba05.pngimage.png.cbb800e58f52622917a2722114a74fcc.png

 

Sorry, I thought SSA supported firmware update.

You could try making a bootable USB drive, boot from it and see if it will install from there. 

You could put the firmware update on a USB, launch iLo and try to update from there.

I am sorry that I do not have more specific directions, but It has been a while since I have played with the MS Gen8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...