RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Williz

HP ML10 RAM

Williz

Afternoon,

I have a HP Gen9 Ml10 (Not V2) server that I want to get some more RAM for... I have already ordered and returned a few sticks of 2133 ECC udimm RAM which wouldn't work in the server. Short of getting the exact replacements from HPE (£££) does anyone know some RAM that should work? I have upgraded the G4440 CPU to a Xeon E3-1245 V5

H00GiE

I've been using Dell branded ram (had some spares from a Dell Poweredge project) in my server, it will complain during boot, and i would not use it in a production environment. But it will work fine.

So if you're after certified ram (shows up as certified) you'll be looking for specific ram-sticks.
certified (verified working):
KTH-PL421E/16G  (kingston 16GB)
KTH-PL421E/8G  (kingston 8GB)

CT16G4WFD8266 (Crucial 16GB)
said to be certified (not verified):

M391A2K43BB1‐CPB (Samsung 16GB 2133)
M391A1G43EB1‐CPB (Samsung 8GB 2133)
HMA82GU7MFR8N‐TF (Hynix 16G 2133)
HMA41GU7AFR8N‐TF (Hynix 8G 2133)
MTA18ASF2G72AZ‐2G1 (Micron 16G 2133)
MTA18ASF1G72AZ‐2G1 (Micron 8G 2133)

(Certain unverified certified sticks are also available in 2400 speeds,
they are reported working fine showing up without any errors tho)

If you don't mind the error message during post, you'll be looking for DDR4-2133 UDIMM PC4-17000P-E sticks. 
Most should work if you follow the same brands. 
I have to be adamant about it, this is UNVERIFIED method and i would advise against it. 

Edited by H00GiE

Williz

Thanks for responding Hoogie, it's really appreciated. I have struggled to find info on this over the web and with HPE support so your information is greatly appreciated. I'll check out which of the ones you've listed I can find in the UK and compare prices

H00GiE
11 minutes ago, Williz said:

Thanks for responding Hoogie, it's really appreciated. I have struggled to find info on this over the web and with HPE support so your information is greatly appreciated. I'll check out which of the ones you've listed I can find in the UK and compare prices

I've not added any links or prices as I didn't know the location and some people have preferences with sourcing their parts, and maybe want to omit certain possible suppliers. Secondly: prices have skyrocketed in the past few years and sometimes change from day to day.

Williz

Sorry I could have worded that better; I've struggled to find info about the RAM compatible with the server previously. I've got no issue with finding the RAM you've listed online. I might have some compatible in stock at work as well actually so that's worth a look.... Heh yeah the DDR4 RAM prices specially for servers have been quite silly for awhile.

H00GiE

Also, Welcome to HSS Forums!

schoondoggy

Do you have part numbers from modules that have not worked?

Williz
19 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Do you have part numbers from modules that have not worked?

I didn't take a note of them though I'd probably be able to find them if I looked. I've got a few sticks from work today which may work looking at the above serials

23 hours ago, H00GiE said:

Also, Welcome to HSS Forums!

Cheers man

schoondoggy

A common issue is sellers listing memory as UDIMM and shipping RDIMM.

Williz
On 1/30/2020 at 4:00 PM, schoondoggy said:

A common issue is sellers listing memory as UDIMM and shipping RDIMM.

Yeah I think may have been an issue

On 1/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, H00GiE said:

I've been using Dell branded ram (had some spares from a Dell Poweredge project) in my server, it will complain during boot, and i would not use it in a production environment. But it will work fine.

So if you're after certified ram (shows up as certified) you'll be looking for specific ram-sticks.
certified (verified working):
KTH-PL421E/16G  (kingston 16GB)
KTH-PL421E/8G  (kingston 8GB)

CT16G4WFD8266 (Crucial 16GB)
said to be certified (not verified):

M391A2K43BB1‐CPB (Samsung 16GB 2133)
M391A1G43EB1‐CPB (Samsung 8GB 2133)
HMA82GU7MFR8N‐TF (Hynix 16G 2133)
HMA41GU7AFR8N‐TF (Hynix 8G 2133)
MTA18ASF2G72AZ‐2G1 (Micron 16G 2133)
MTA18ASF1G72AZ‐2G1 (Micron 8G 2133)

(Certain unverified certified sticks are also available in 2400 speeds,
they are reported working fine showing up without any errors tho)

If you don't mind the error message during post, you'll be looking for DDR4-2133 UDIMM PC4-17000P-E sticks. 
Most should work if you follow the same brands. 
I have to be adamant about it, this is UNVERIFIED method and i would advise against it. 

I have two sticks of the KTH-PL421E/8G  (kingston 8GB) now. I tried fitting it last night but I just get the red LED on the front of the server flashing at me, I tried it populated in the first (top, furthest from CPU) which is where the HPE 4GB that comes with the server is currently. and with the 4GB in that slow with the 8GB underneath but had the same issue.
I updated to the latest BIOS last night and got intel AMT set on my other PC so I can log check and see what's going on so will have another look tonight. Do you have any ideas though?