RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
raviT

Storage Spaces Tiering in Windows 10

raviT

I am experimenting getting tiered storage going on windows 10 1909. I have an LSI 9217 4i4e HBA installed, with the internal cable connected from the drive cage so the 4 4tb drives are all sata III 6gb/s. Then I have three ssd drives, one for windows 10 connected to the, an odd drive socket,  the two others connected to the B210i as raid 0 on the two 6gb/s ports. 

I am wondering if it would be better to have all the drives connected to the LSI 9217, but looking around I can't find a cheapish direct attached storage enclosure that will connect via the mini-sas sff-8088 connector from the LSI 9217 external port.  They are around £200-390 which seems a bit too expensive. I looked at the SilverStone Technology RL-TS421S SST-TS421S 4 Bay 2.5" SAS/SATA Hard Drive Enclosure to Mini-SAS SFF-8088, and the RocketStor 4 Bay 6414TS. Does anyone have experience with any others, or suggestions on how best to cheaply achieve this?

This is a great forum, and I am learning a lot, and hekp or suggestions welcome.

JackoUK

Sorry - I've tried similar without success - the market seems to be catering for a maximum of 4 bays or very expensive 8 bay NAS solutions ... and I think Storage Spaces is designed for lots of disks so:

- 4 disks in a 2 way mirror and a 2.5 Gbs network card (or 2 x 1Gbs NICs leveraging the inbuilt SMB multichannel feature)

- 8 disks in a 2 way mirror with a 5Gbs network card

- 16 disks (tricky!) in a 2 way mirror and a 10bs network card.

Last year's thoughts at https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/16182-converged-10g-home-storage-network/

schoondoggy

The two SSD on the B120i, are they individual RAID0 or are they combined in a RAID0 array?

$200 is generally the price point for four bay externals. You could try something like this: