RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
j_cocker

Installing an SSD for the OS and Windows 10 on it (long, sorry...)

j_cocker

My setup is as follows: 

- Gen8 G1610T with 12GB of RAM

- 1 x 250GB HDD running Windows 7 (boot disk). Plan is to remove it once the SSD replaces it.

- 2 x 3TB data HDDs

- No RAID/mirroring is used, and I'd like to keep it that way - one of the data HDDs is used to backup several laptops on the network, the other for media to be streamed around the house.

- Server was running without any problem for the last 5 years using Win7 Ultimate.

What I have managed to so so far:

- Removed the 3 HDDs (to ensure data is not compromised)

- connected the SSD using the ODD connectors (power using an adaptor, and SATA cable to the spare socket on the motherboard).

- Installed Win10 Home on the SSD from a USB DiskOnkey - all the drivers were found automatically, and for the 2 that were not found I used Win 2008 Server R2 ones (as I had done for Win7) . Checked and it is booting OK and everything seems to work just fine.

I then to put the 2 data HDDS back in. But the system would not boot despite everything I tried with the BIOS's boot priority, etc.

I spend some time online, but am rather confused as to the next steps required to make this work. From what I have seen most people suggest using HP Smart Storage Administrator to set up the SSD in a single HDD array RAID0 using the b120i controller, and then set it up as the top priority device in the BIOS boot priority list. 

Is this really the easiest/only way?

Problems I am now facing:

- I was unable to find a working Win10 driver for the b120i controller (tried 2008, 2008 R2, 2012-16). All refused to install, claiming that the hardware did not exist. Do I need to enable the controller first in the BIOS? I was not too keen to try in case it would damage my setup (mirror the two HDDs, causing me to lose data).

- I was unable to use/open Intelligent Provisioning (do I actually need it?) as others suggested as a solution. Pressing F10 at boot causes the screen to go blank after POST, and after a short delay it simply boots from the SSD to Win10...

That is me so far ;-(

Any help will be much appreciated!

schoondoggy

The HPE MicroServer Gen8 will only boot from the ODD SATA port if you are using the B120i controller. If you set the server for AHCI and have no drives in the front bays, it will boot from the ODD port, but when you install drives in the front bays you will no longer be able to boot from the ODD. Turning on the B120i will let you boot from the ODD. You can set each drive in the server to an individual RAID0 drive. This will be similar to JBOD. With the B120i enabled you can enter the SSA setup utility on boot and configure your drives. You can load the B120i driver from USB during OS installation. Keep in mind the ODD SATA port is SATA II 3Gb/s. Depending on what you want to do with the server, you could add a HBA to control the four front drives, then add a breakout cable to the SATA controller on the system board and run your boot SSD from SATA port one. Then you could leave the server in AHCI mode and get SATA III 6Gb/s speed to your SSD.

j_cocker

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

Following your advice, I enabled the B120i in the BIOS. 

Now, during boot it showed it being initialised,  so I know that it is enabled.

It reports that the array is not configured, but it gives me the option to press F5 to set it up. When I do that it turn the screen blank at the end of the boot messages (and the POST beeps), a cursor flashes at the top left hand corner of the screen for a few seconds, and the system then tries to boot from NIC...   I get the exact same outcome when pressing F10 during boot (i.e. trying to enter Intelligent Provisioning).

I just checked in the BIOS (under Device Security), and Intelligent Provisioning is enabled (I also tried to disable it and then enable it again).

Am I right in assuming a problem with IP? 

I found that I can download it and install again here: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Unable-to-boot-into-Intelligent-Provisioning/td-p/6999252#.Xig90Mj7RRA

Is this a good idea?

j_cocker

Forgot to mention that to be on the safe side I yesterday flashed the BIOS and the iLO4 to the latest versions. It had no effect on the issue(s) above - I am still unable to access IP.

j_cocker

Using IP I created a single array, RAID0, with the SSD in it, and set as bootable.

Now when I try to boot the system it starts Win 10, but after a few seconds I end up with the BSOD (and no explanation)...

Tried to boot again, was given a few options by Win10 to try repair boot, etc. nothing worked.

Any thoughts?

schoondoggy

You should reinstall Windows 10 on the SSD, with the B120i driver on a USB drive so it can load during install

j_cocker

Thanks a lot - followed your advice and everything now works 100%!

• Thanks 1