RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
articgoat

SuperMicro 4U CSE-847 36 Bay SAS2 BP X9DRD-EF 2x E5-2620 12 Core 16GB IT Mode

Trig0r

I'd say overkill for the home, however there are most likely some on here that would love something like that :D

nrf

overkill is our thing here. what about fan noise on the beast? a basement dweller?

Al_Borges

Interesting change of pace from the all the microserver stuff

good price -  even you have no need for 36 bays !!!!

one of the issues with the  HP microserver is the need for a service contract to get drivers

how is the driver situation with this ?.   Can you even install Windows 10 or Unraid or Freenas or the like ?

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

one of the issues with the  HP microserver is the need for a service contract to get drivers

how is the driver situation with this ?.   Can you even install Windows 10 or Unraid or Freenas or the like ?

HPE only requires a warranty or service contract for BIOS updates, drivers and firmware are free to download. 

As to the deal above, Super Micro has good driver support. The only thing you need to watch with Super Micro is the part numbers for system boards are separate from chassis part numbers. You need to check both for updates. The specs show RAID in IT mode, so it should work with UNRAID or FreeNAS.

nrf

isn't IT mode RAID something of an oxymoron?

articgoat
On 1/18/2020 at 5:23 AM, Trig0r said:

I'd say overkill for the home, however there are most likely some on here that would love something like that :D

using one for Plex, and I need around 300TB for for 8k footage on the other, the footage eats space like there is no tomorrow

On 1/18/2020 at 7:32 AM, nrf said:

overkill is our thing here. what about fan noise on the beast? a basement dweller?

This is going 10 feet underground, so no problem there.

15 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

I contacted them and for 1 they are giving me unraid (Plex server) and for the other i got them to give me a 9211-8i for a 8k footage editing server. in total i would need about 400 ish TB

Edited by articgoat