RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Would like recommendations for equipment & storage

Rodf

For the last couple years we've used an old, wooden desk to hold our cable modem, router, external HD and our APS UPS. However, that old desk really takes up more floor space than we can afford to lose to it. So my wife and I have been talking about alternatives. We'd both like something that we can store several DVDs and Blu-rays in. My wife found this storage cabinet on Amazon. However, my first concern was putting the cable modem, router, external HD and UPS into it. No circulation, I'm sure it would get hot in there. We could possibly put all of that electronic stuff on it. Although I would think the UPS would be both high and kinda heavy on it. Not really sure if that would work or not.

So I thought I'd ask you guys for what solutions you've come up with. How do you store your electronic/network related equipment so that you've got harmony in the home? We'd like to keep it to between $100 to $130.

cskenney

My equipment is in a rack in the basement next to my breaker panel.

Do you want the stuff hidden out of sight or doesn’t it matter?

How much floor space can you give up? 

Al_Borges

I have my gear on a heavy duty shelf mounted high on a wall in my utility room. Leaves plenty of room for storage underneath.

What is key is that I mounted what I can directly on the wall above the shelf (ups,network switch, power strip).

This makes a much more compact set up and greatly improves cord management

Rodf

I live in the southwest. My home is like most southwest homes; we don't have a basement.

My equipment is in a rack in the basement next to my breaker panel.

Do you want the stuff hidden out of sight or doesn’t it matter?

How much floor space can you give up? 

I'm trying to keep the router in the center of the house, to improve the Wi-Fi signal throughout the house. I haven't any utility room anywhere in the house. No closet in the center of the house, either.

I have my gear on a heavy duty shelf mounted high on a wall in my utility room. Leaves plenty of room for storage underneath.

What is key is that I mounted what I can directly on the wall above the shelf (ups,network switch, power strip).

This makes a much more compact set up and greatly improves cord management

nrf

how about that shelf idea? it could be up near the ceiling...

JackoUK

Not quite to your specification but ...

… I would (do) use open glass TV cabinets e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183898196757

Keep the DVD's in a cupboard or the garage and convert them to files. Backup complete.

Subjective I know, but a wooden cabinet for electronics?

Edited by JackoUK