RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Geedub

Is SATA III possible when booting from an mSATA SSD on PCIe?

Geedub

Hi all, first post.

I am looking to free up one of the bays in my N54L without removing the optical drive so I am considering purchasing a PCIe to mSATA adaptor card which has been discussed in previous topics. I'm just looking to confirm if these cards support SATA III on the actual mSATA connector part of the card and give me the full 6GB/s speed.

Thanks,

Geedub

schoondoggy

The N54l has two Gen2 PCIe slots x1 and X16:

PCI Express
version
Introduced Line
code
Transfer
rate
Throughput x1 x2 x4 x8 x16 1.0 2003 8b/10b 2.5 GT/s 250 MB/s 0.500 GB/s 1.00 GB/s 2.0 GB/s 4.0 GB/s 2.0 2007 8b/10b 5.0 GT/s 500 MB/s 1.000 GB/s 2.00 GB/s 4.0 GB/s 8.0 GB/s

Most of the mSATA PCIe cards are x1 which could limit the performance of the SSD, but not by much.

Depending on how much you want to invest in the N54l, you could look at replacing the optical drive with a slim optical and some drive bays:

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=274

Of course you would need to add a SATA controller as well.

For x1 PCIe mSATA cards, I have used this one in the MS Gen10:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B3-0001-00028?Description=pcie controller msata&cm_re=pcie_controller_msata-_-9SIA1JM33B8061-_-Product

Geedub
On 12/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, schoondoggy said:

The N54l has two Gen2 PCIe slots x1 and X16:

PCI Express
version
Introduced Line
code
Transfer
rate

Throughput x1 x2 x4 x8 x16 1.0 2003 8b/10b 2.5 GT/s 250 MB/s 0.500 GB/s 1.00 GB/s 2.0 GB/s 4.0 GB/s 2.0 2007 8b/10b 5.0 GT/s 500 MB/s 1.000 GB/s 2.00 GB/s 4.0 GB/s 8.0 GB/s

Most of the mSATA PCIe cards are x1 which could limit the performance of the SSD, but not by much.

Depending on how much you want to invest in the N54l, you could look at replacing the optical drive with a slim optical and some drive bays:

https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=274

Of course you would need to add a SATA controller as well.

For x1 PCIe mSATA cards, I have used this one in the MS Gen10:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B3-0001-00028?Description=pcie controller msata&cm_re=pcie_controller_msata-_-9SIA1JM33B8061-_-Product

Thanks for your detailed response. I have ordered a similar card and mSATA SSD. Once installed should it just be picked up in the BIOS automatically?

schoondoggy

It should appear as a SATA controller and a SATA drive.

Geedub

I installed the card and drive and they show as devices in Windows but I'm having difficulty installing Windows and using it as my boot device.

When I try to select the drive to install Windows it says 'We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the setup log'

I've tried manually creating the partition using the command line but it makes no difference. I've tried putting the card into my desktop and it works fine, it let me install Windows and boot from it. Is there a BIOS setting I should be changing?

Geedub

Yes, I made it the first boot device. When installing Windows the setup detects it and gives me the option to format/create partition but it fails with the error message in my previous post. I also tried cloning my current install using Acronis which completed successfully but booting into it gives me a BSOD

schoondoggy

Which mSATA PCIe controller did you purchase?

schoondoggy

Have you tried installing Windows to it with no other drives in the server?