RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems with Remote Web Access (ISP blocks ports)

deboots

Are you even sure it is the ISP blocking?

I have AT&T and found that the DSL modem was actually blocking inbound traffic by blocking a public I.P..

A quick fiddle with the modem settings and I was able to give myself a public I.P

Don't know if it applies here but worth looking at.

Are you sure that is the only ports they are blocking? You may go to all this work to change and re-direct ports only to find that doesn't fix anything. My ISP uses a NAT. It connects ports based on the request coming out from my LAN but will not connect a port from an external request (of any type). I keep arguing with my ISP (which is also a small service provider) to give me a public IP address without the NAT or port forward around the NAT for me but so far nothing from them.

I tried a bunch of different combinations of port forwarding and I can't get it working. I assume my ISP is doing something similar to what you describe above. Does anyone know any other possible work-around? I get disappointed every time I see the Windows 7 commercial with the couple in the airport that remotes into their home machine to watch recorded TV.

I just convinced my ISP to give me a public (static) IP address. It no longer is using a NAT between my home and the Internet. It has completely solved all my VPN and remote access problems. If you can convince your ISP to give you a public IP address (without charging you small business pricing) you should be all set. Something to remember though is your ability to pull off your WHS remotely will be constrained by your upload speed.

I just convinced my ISP to give me a public (static) IP address. It no longer is using a NAT between my home and the Internet. It has completely solved all my VPN and remote access problems. If you can convince your ISP to give you a public IP address (without charging you small business pricing) you should be all set. Something to remember though is your ability to pull off your WHS remotely will be constrained by your upload speed.

Congratulations on getting the public IP. Unfortunately, with the IP4 situation the way it is, I am very worried that virtually all ISPs will start doing NAT for customer IPs. That will really suck. I'm not sure if there'll be a workaround in the future but, if not, I suspect we'll all have to change the way we do things, at least until we can all get IP6 addresses.

[Edit/]

Just thought of an option. Just like dynamic DNS, one way might be to have servers on the internet that act intermediaries, a la WebEx or Mimachi or Citrix. Course, it would probably mean another monthly expense for all of us.

[/Edit]

Edited by ikon