RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems with Remote Web Access (ISP blocks ports)

deboots

I have a small cable company providing my broadband internet access at home. I am not able to use Remote Web Access on my Vail Server because this cable company blocks incoming ports 80(HTTP) and 443(HTTPS). When I contacted my cable company, they claim I need to pay small business monthly rates if I want unblock these ports. Given those prices, it's cost prohibitive.

Does anyone know if I can just use port forwarding on my router to let someone specify a port when contacting my home server, and then configure my router inside the cable modem to forward traffic from that alternate port to the normal web traffic ports 80 and 443 so they get sent to my server properly? And if that's possible, what ports would be safe to forward? I currently use a D-Link DIR-655. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes you should be able to. On the port forwarding side, the D-Link software gives you both the external port and the internal port. You can log into http://yourserver.homeserver.com:81 and then have your router forward external port 81 to internal port 80.

The other option you have is to sign up with something like no-ip.org that will let you do the change the port information on the external side to get around the blocked port 80.

Yes you should be able to. On the port forwarding side, the D-Link software gives you both the external port and the internal port. You can log into http://yourserver.homeserver.com:81 and then have your router forward external port 81 to internal port 80.

I remembered seeing this but when I checked my Netgear router to confirm, that specific config option isn't there. Wonder why that is.

How can they be blocking Port 80 and 443 traffic? You would have no internet access. Something else is going on.

No, they're blocking him from running a server on port 80/443. Normal returning web traffic, as in when you browse or whatever, uses all kinds of random ports.

Yeah, they block incoming traffic. If you make a request on port 80, it opens, sends the request and waits for a reply from that ip location your contacting. Once the request is recieved, the port is closed.

So if someone from the outside comes knocking, they can't get in. They want to prevent home users to install servers like Exchange.

Exchange uses 25. Change ISP's and then use a non-standard port for the web access as mentioned above. This is also a way to stand up more than one WHS server for remote testing.

I would suggest using Port 8080 as your forwarded port.

I remembered seeing this but when I checked my Netgear router to confirm, that specific config option isn't there. Wonder why that is.

You could also RDP into the server, and actually change IIS to listen on a differend port.

You could also RDP into the server, and actually change IIS to listen on a differend port.

In a WHS environment, I highly recommend against this. The WHS software expect certain things to be consistent, and the ports is one of them. If you change this, the remote-access wizard will stop working as will some of the stuff.

I have a small cable company providing my broadband internet access at home. I am not able to use Remote Web Access on my Vail Server because this cable company blocks incoming ports 80(HTTP) and 443(HTTPS). When I contacted my cable company, they claim I need to pay small business monthly rates if I want unblock these ports. Given those prices, it's cost prohibitive.

Does anyone know if I can just use port forwarding on my router to let someone specify a port when contacting my home server, and then configure my router inside the cable modem to forward traffic from that alternate port to the normal web traffic ports 80 and 443 so they get sent to my server properly? And if that's possible, what ports would be safe to forward? I currently use a D-Link DIR-655. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure that is the only ports they are blocking? You may go to all this work to change and re-direct ports only to find that doesn't fix anything. My ISP uses a NAT. It connects ports based on the request coming out from my LAN but will not connect a port from an external request (of any type). I keep arguing with my ISP (which is also a small service provider) to give me a public IP address without the NAT or port forward around the NAT for me but so far nothing from them.