RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Can I rename something in Smart Life?

Rodf

This week I've got my first, even, smart plug. It is a set of 4 smart plugs by Aoycocr. To use these plugs I have installed an app onto my Android phone, named Smart Life. So, I've named them like this: "Mini Smart Socket 1", "Mini Smart Socket 2", etc.

Then I thought, this isn't easy to remember. Right now I have "Mini Smart Socket 1" with my Christmas tree lights. I thought, why not just rename it "Christmas Tree Lights" in the app. Can I do that?

oj88
22 hours ago, Rodf said:

This week I've got my first, even, smart plug. It is a set of 4 smart plugs by Aoycocr. To use these plugs I have installed an app onto my Android phone, named Smart Life. So, I've named them like this: "Mini Smart Socket 1", "Mini Smart Socket 2", etc.

Then I thought, this isn't easy to remember. Right now I have "Mini Smart Socket 1" with my Christmas tree lights. I thought, why not just rename it "Christmas Tree Lights" in the app. Can I do that?

You should be able to. In fact, that's the best way to do it if the equipment plugged into a specific slot is semi-permanent. You can change the name as often as you like to reflect what the socket is currently used for.

If you associate SmartLife with Alexa or Google Home, the name you assigned it will be automatically picked up. So saying something like "Alexa, turn on the Christmas tree", it will light the tree up.

You could even assign them to Routines to turn on more than a few things with a single command. So if you say something to the effect of "Alexa, Christmas mode", it will turn on the Christmas tree, maybe some external decorative lighting, play Christmas songs on Spotify, or, God forbid, turn on a dancing Santa. :D

Edited by oj88
  • Like 1

Rodf

Routines, huh? Never heard of 'em. Will have to look into them.

Thanks!

JumpinJ

What are the steps to rename a socket in the Android App? I understand how to name the device when you first add it but I can't find how to rename it on the app after it has already been added?

Thanks,

Jerry