RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rebuild WHS V1 - New Hardware

JediTim

To all,

I am going to be replacing my aging homebuilt WHS v1 that was built in March 2008. When I built the WHS at the time I never envisioned I would use the server to upload my entire DVD / BluRay media library for streaming through MyMovies. My current server has run out of space, the case is cramped, the MB ran out of SATA ports and I just feel like building a new WHS. I had planned on building this based on the new Vail release but the lack of Driver Extender has led me down the path of rebuilding the original WHS V1.

The specs for the new build are:

- Case - Antec Nine Hundred - $99

- Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 - $119

- CPU - Intel Core i3-550 - $124 (Not much more cost than 530)

- Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-750TX $79

- Memory - Corsair = XMS3 4GB - DDR3 1600

- Main HD - WD Black Enterprise RE4 - 1Tb - $149

- Secondary HD - 3 WD Green 2Tb - $119

- Software from TechNet subscription

1. What are your thoughts?

2. How do I transfer the data from one WHS to the other...I don't want to rip all the DVD media again.

Thanks for your input,

Tim

The parts list is great. Looks very familiar! Several solutions for migration are available.

Can you run both concurrently? That's the easiest way. Network transfer. Done.

There is always the hard drive shuffle. What are the drives in your current version and how full are they? Remove one drive from the pool, load it with data and transport it to the new server.

The parts list is great. Looks very familiar! Several solutions for migration are available.

Can you run both concurrently? That's the easiest way. Network transfer. Done.

There is always the hard drive shuffle. What are the drives in your current version and how full are they? Remove one drive from the pool, load it with data and transport it to the new server.

Yes...I can run both at the same time without issue. When you say network transfer you mean have both hooked up to my switch and just transfer the files across my home network?

That's it. Setup your new server as a different name and you will be able to access it's shares from the old server. Simply copy the shares over one by one until done. You could even go so far as to save your backups to an external drive with BDBB and import those to your new server as well. I have not done that but I think several guys here have.

That's it. Setup your new server as a different name and you will be able to access it's shares from the old server. Simply copy the shares over one by one until done. You could even go so far as to save your backups to an external drive with BDBB and import those to your new server as well. I have not done that but I think several guys here have.

Thanks...guess I need to go to Newegg and start getting the parts needed for the new rebuild.

Looks great. Would suggest making sure you have gigabit for the transfer. I just recently moved 4.5T around to two different locations this exact way. Good luck with your build.

Looks great. Would suggest making sure you have gigabit for the transfer. I just recently moved 4.5T around to two different locations this exact way. Good luck with your build.

Yes...Installed a Gigabyte switch a couple of years ago for the purpose of transferring files from WHS to other computers. I keep all of my photos on the WHS and open them in Lightroom / Photoshop on my main PC, prior to the Gigabyte network it was painful.

I actually based the build on your WHS builds.

Thx

Edited by JediTim

Just to pick a nit, it is gigabit, not Gigabyte. The proper noun "Gigabyte" is the short name of a manufacturing company famous for their solid motherboards. The other usage is to denote 2^30 bytes, or 2^33 bits. A gigabit network is 2^30 bits, or 2^10 megabytes. The shorthand nomenclature for bits and bytes is that a capital "B" denotes bytes while a lowercase "b" refers to bits. The capitalization of the G or M or K isn't really relevant. So thus a gigabit network is 1gb/sec while a 3 gigabyte file would be 3GB in size.

</soapbox>

The specs for the new build are:

- Case - Antec Nine Hundred - $99

- Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 - $119

- CPU - Intel Core i3-550 - $124 (Not much more cost than 530)

- Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-750TX $79

- Memory - Corsair = XMS3 4GB - DDR3 1600

- Main HD - WD Black Enterprise RE4 - 1Tb - $149

- Secondary HD - 3 WD Green 2Tb - $119

- Software from TechNet subscription

1. What are your thoughts?

You need an H55 based motherboard if you want to make use of the Core i3's onboard graphics. Otherwise, don't forget to add a discrete video card to your order.

Also, the PSU you've chosen is not modular. If you're OK with that, then that's cool. If not, CoolerMaster has a 700W modular PSU for ~$109.

The case is OK, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather have one whose hard drive bays were oriented so the drives could be slipped in from the side. Also, it looks like there's a lot of work to add or remove a drive in the 900 since it appears that its drives are grouped in 3-drive cages. You'd have to remove the whole cage just to add/replace a hard drive. And from what I can see in the pictures on Newegg, the drives are screwed in from the bottom. Makes me wonder if you'd have to remove the the two lower hard drives just to get to the top drive. If it were me, I'd be looking at a case with the hard drive bays oriented sideways. The Lian Li K60B is a pretty nice case in this regard. And don't get fooled by the Newegg description. The case comes with 4 fans - (1)120mm + (3)140mm. I can vouch for this because I own two K60B's.